Regulator set screw is bent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomwirsing

Reaction score
The regulator I have (free CL acquisition), came with a bent set screw. I've used it successfully for a few brews. The bend in the screw allows me to turn the pressure up to around 15 psi. At 15, the bend keeps me from turning it further.

I'd like to be able to go to higher pressures to speed force carbing (I only have one corny at present, so when it's gone I have to wait for the next one to carb).

Please let me know if this is an easy repair or if I'm going to run into a mess by disassembling the regulator. If you can offer advice on how to perform this repair, I'd appreciate that as well.

Simply remove the screw and replace it. I replaced mine with a thumbscrew so that I could adjust the regulator without the need for tools of any kind. The threads are standard, so any hardware store should be able to match it up. Nothing happens when you remove the screw, so there is no need to disassemble the regulator.

It must be some sort of shoulder screw or some other form of retention is used. Wehn I loosen it all the way, it doesn't come out. It spins freely and is clearly disengaged, but it is retained.

In that case, remove the four screws on the diaphram cover and take a peek inside to see what, if anything, is preventing removal of the screw. Probably doesn't need to be said, but for safety, remove the regulator from the tank before doing this. There may be a cotter pin or something similar retaining the screw from the inside. These regulators are very simple devices with only a few moving parts, so there is little risk of doing any harm.

Back