beginner's mistakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
Hi there to all of you!

I am a complete begginer and at this point I'm reading alot and collecting equipment.

I want to start with all grain, so no extract brewing at all.

I wanted to make this thread where all of you expirienced home brewers could write your begginer's mistakes.

So, please write all those things that could be a problem for me, or situations that could drive me crazy.

Thank you!

My hydrometer was reading 6 points low and I kept wondering why my beers got me drunk so quickly.

Measurement of volumes, temps and time are important. Lack of notes prevented me from fixing some early errors.

I tried inventing new recipes *way* too early. My first batch that was not a pre-hopped can turned out way too dry and way too hoppy.

At least a brewer can drink his/her mistakes.

1. Continue to read, collect equipment, search out for an super-simple recipe for your first time trying all-grain (BM Centennial Blonde, Ed Haus Pale Ale...both recipes found here). Leave the high-gravity beers, and the recipes with the complicated hop additions to later brews.

2. Sit down at your computer, and type out from start to finish how you plan to carry out your all grain brew. As Wayne (Bargain Fittings) mentioned, be sure to include every temperature, volume, and time. Describe what equipment you plan to use. Leave no detail out.

3. Post this procedure in the AG section and see what people have to say about it.

4. Incorporated the changes to your procedure, review your revised procedure, give yourself a full day to do it, take your time and go to town!

Good luck!

PS...note that none of us actually answered your questions! :cross: Its impossible to predict what your mistakes will be and its impossible to give you tell you how to best go about brewing since everyone's system is different. Sorry about that, but it will be easier to help you out when you have a better idea what your system will be and what you plan to do.

. . . . So, please write all those things that could be a problem for me, or situations that could drive me crazy.

Thank you!

All or nothing could be a problem for you, All or nothing could drive you crazy:D
If you stay on this forum long enough threads like this will drive you crazy. Most people on here will take the time to help you when/if you have a specific question.
So post away when you have one:rockin:

ok, but I just wanted to know what were the most common mistakes of you guys at the beggining....

I wanted your expiriences :mug:

Of all I read the one that that seems to have not clicked with me is how important fermentation temps are. As I've ironed out my process in the last 18 months I have not spent enough attention to that detail. My basement is around 70F/21C in the summer, too hot IMO (prefer 65F/18C) but my attitude has been "it is what it is".

I'm now using a swamp cooler and it's 'works' but the temps aren't as steady as I'd like them and I plan on converting a dorm room fridge to help me in this. :mug:

ok, but I just wanted to know what were the most common mistakes of you guys at the beggining....

I wanted your expiriences :mug:

The biggest problem I have had was trying to make a corn stalk beer about two years ago, it is still undrinkeable to this day, makes good brat sauce though.

I burned myself with hot water from the chiller once.

Sorry I'm such an A$$, but there are about a million different opinions, mistakes (Most of which you can read about on here by doing a search) and experiences. Brew on my friend:mug:

Oh yeah, and RDWHAHB.

I'm with mike on the temps thing.. if you live in an area where temps can change dramatically, i.e; cold overnight and hot during the day.. where you store your mix while you are fermenting is very important.. it shouldnt get too warm! - So look at cooling solutions or make sure you are brewing in a stable tempararture.

Also.. make sure your work area is clean and hygenic.. so many people might set thier brew up in an old dirty garage which can cause infections and bacteria.. so make sure you are working with clean supplies and equipment.

Some of the best advice I got when I started was to take your time and don't rush things.

Take your time on every step. Brew day, bottling and most important aging,let your beer sit as long as it should.

Rushing leads to mistakes.

I did not sparge hot enough, BeerSmith lied to me about my sparge strike temp! It was telling me to sparge with 168F water, when I really needed 180-185. My efficiency went way up when I corrected this.

Don't underestimate the cleaning/sanitizing of everything that touches your post-boil wort/beer. A great batch of beer will go really really bad when this happens.

I think the biggest beginner's "mistake" is to get overwhelmed by things and start acting out of fear or ignorance. I'm not saying that to be mean, but simplifying things, taking the time to understand things and realizing that RDWHAHB is more that just a clever phrase will go a long way to being a happy, relaxed brewer who makes great beer.

-Steve

Not knowing that mash temp determines residual sugars and fermentables. Somehow I didn't get that.

I would also check the thermometer and hydrometer for accuracy, since you will rely on them so much more for AG.

Sanitation, ferm temp control are both critical to good beer.

+ 1 to taking notes. My beers have gotten better since I started keeping track of stuff.

+ 1,000 to controlling ferm. temps. My first 3 batches, I mistakenly assumed that warmer was better. Luckily, only one came out tasting like liquid bananas.

My overall mistake was not reading ENOUGH before I started.. I just jumped right in.

After I waiting 7 weeks to taste my 1st batch (a Heffe), I read the reason why it tasted like a bushel of banana's - I fermented at 78F - oops! I wish I would've read info about ferm temps sooner.

Although that mistake is how I learned, after I put all my time and energy into a brew, its too bad when I'm the only one who is willing drink it.. and I don't mean enjoy it either.

Since I started all grain not to long ago I would say that preparing yourself with knowledge is the most important thing.
Pick a simple recipe of the style of beer that you really enjoy, although a lager probably wouldn't be a good choice.
Give yourself plenty of time, expect the brew session to last 5+ hours, including clean up.
Have an extra pack of yeast available in case you accidentally dump it on the floor at 2 am...(I've heard that happens to some people) ;^)
If you have a friend that brews or access to a local home brew club, it may help to pop your cherry with someone else that first time.

Above all, relax and enjoy yourself!

Back