Yeast Psychology

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNatural

The Original, beware of imposters.
Reaction score
Ok, there I was, mindlessly flap-discing on single tier build, and got to thinking about studies regarding the effect music has on living things - animals and even plants.

Hey, yeast is a living thing, and I'm also building a ferm chamber, and I've got some marine speakers, and I've got 300GB of dang near every genre in MP3.

So, what would happen if, while fermenting an Irish Red, I pipe in some Chieftans, Flogging Mollys and Pogues?

Then, while changing flap disc, it came to me in a vision. Tailor the tunes to the current life/work cycle of the yeast!

Phase 1, reproduction: Barry White/Roberta Flack/Barry Manilow

Phase 2, peak activity: VooDoo Daddy/Brian Setzer/Stevie Ray Vaughn

Phase 3, nap time: Yanni/Zamfir

What do you all think, anybody kick this around before?

Meh.. Can anyone hook me up with some Barry Manilow, Yanni or Zamfir?

Love it! Split the batch and ferment one quiet and one with the tunes and see if you taste a difference....

I read something about this on probrewer.com. Some big league pros seriously advise music for yeast. I expect it's just like with plants.

IIRC, the yeast in one case performed best to metal.

Piratwolf said:
I read something about this on probrewer.com. Some big league pros seriously advise music for yeast. I expect it's just like with plants.

I want to try the metal beer! Up the irons!

Hipster yeast? Or BMC?

Demus said:
I'm gonna start working on a "Master of Puppets" IPA!

Holy crap. Now this is my kinda thread. I always kid my wife about singing to my yeast while I'm at work. She said she can't chant like a monk.

On a very loosely related note, I was considering coming up with recipes based on a band or song. Lotso weird possibilities there.

Nice, ganje it up with some Bob Marley! Hops are the other weed's closest relative after all....

Reminds me of my high school science project, effects of music on living organisms. Was so long ago, but if I remember correctly, I got some great results. And an A.

Cheers!

:mug:

How about Bob "Marley" Wine??? 12% abv and late hopped with, well, let's just you'd have to brew it in California!! Every little thing... gonna be alright....

I'm so glad I'm not the only weirdo that's been thinking about this lately! (usually after a few homebrews).

I like the idea behind it and your "schedule" of music. I mean, music is just vibrations at different frequencies, no matter what genre. I wonder if it would have an "agitation" effect on the little beasties. Furthermore, would it have desirable or adverse effects...

DOOOO IIIIIIT!!

just don't have them listen to psychedelic rock, or you could end up with lsd in your beer....
Maybe use it for Steam beer, geographically related?

Good call.

Nice, ganje it up with some Bob Marley! Hops are the other weed's closest relative after all....

How about Bob "Marley" Wine??? 12% abv and late hopped with, well, let's just you'd have to brew it in California!! Every little thing... gonna be alright....

Have a bunch of Marley.
Brewing in California is not a problem for me.
I have a bro that would likely be a brew partner with me.:fro:
To SWMBO - "Honey, I skunked the beer":rockin:

If you're putting sound into the water then that might be creating some vibrations that keep the yeast in suspension longer. Metal or techno might have the right about of bass/percussion to do this.

It'd be gentler than rocking the carboy around without the risk of air getting in.

check out the research done by Masaru Emoto from Japan. It deals with the effect of words/thoughts on liquids. Crazy stuff, but really interesting

I gotta call BS on that winemaker. Not even using a speaker, just the magnet.
A speaker is an electromechanical transducer that converts electrical energy to physical energy that moves an air-coupled element (diaphragm) producing sound waves.
All that guy is "serenading" the wine with is modulated magnetic field.

check out the research done by Masaru Emoto from Japan. It deals with the effect of words/thoughts on liquids. Crazy stuff, but really interesting
"research" is being very generous.
The Amazing Randi called BS in 2003.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masaru_Emoto

Need to get Jamil, Palmer, Papazian, etc., to read their books as audio books. My bet is that Jamil reading "Yeast" during the life cycle is good for another 3-5% of AA.

Stan H. reading "For the Love of Hops" would more than likely help your IPAs keep their hop presence deep into aging.

Stan H. reading "For the Love of Hops" would more than likely help your IPAs keep their hop presence deep into aging.

I think they'd fall asleep! Great info but that was a tough read at times. I don't think I'd like to listen to an audio book on human biology when I'm trying to get busy in the sack!!! Bring on the tunes man!!! :mug:

I think they'd fall asleep! Great info but that was a tough read at times. I don't think I'd like to listen to an audio book on human biology when I'm trying to get busy in the sack!!! Bring on the tunes man!!! :mug:

Agreed, and if there is any narration involved, there can only be one person worthy of that role -

WILLIAM SHATNER!!!

Back to the music. Just had another thought, internet radio streaming. Can do the programing/monitoring anywhere, and easily stream out to ferm chamber.

Plus, if would make it easy for others to stream to their own yeasts, and if their yeasts wanted to listen to anything special, a request process could be set up. How cool would that be?

Of course, you'd need to provide yeast demographics to prospective advertisers.

Vibration is a form of stimulation for plants, I assume it works for yeast too. So that means that any style of music that's loud, grinding, and rhythmic would be ideal. Stuff like metal, drum n bass, dubstep, punk rock, etc should rank highest in effectiveness. I would imagine that low bass sounds would be more effective than treble as well. Some sort of low frequency white/brown noise manipulation would probably be great too.

Agreed, and if there is any narration involved, there can only be one person worthy of that role -

WILLIAM SHATNER!!!

Hmm . . I'm getting something weird here . . not sure what it is. What temp did you ferment this at? Hmm, it's sort of spicy, but . . . kinda fruity too. It's really hard to pick out but definitely there. Did you play Shatner to this yeast? Not sure that's within style, but I think I like it.:pipe:

There are brewing rituals all over the world for bringing good vibes to the yeast. Singing, dancing, or quieter intentions have been used to encourage fermentation. In Norway they used to stomp around the fermenters when they wanted an extra strong beer. The energy of anger was supposed to make the yeast more active. Black Metal Barleywine, anyone?

I usually subscribe to the quiet school of brewing, but the research shows it matters less what kind of music you use, and more what you think of the music. So if you think jazz, metal, ska, or happy hardcore will make better beer, it probably will.

My yeast will only groove to music that stands the test of time - mainly any Rock & Roll from the 60's and 70's. They just refuse to listen to anything else..... ESPECIALLY RAP!

My first saison thoroughly enjoyed the bossa nova kick that I was on at the time. I had a poll about this last year some time, the question being: Does playing bossa nova to my fermenting beer qualify as terroir?

Probably not, but I choose to believe it has some effect! :mug:

I always pipe "let's get it on" into the fermentation chamber, and if the fermentation stalls, I switch it up and put on "Sexual Healing"

It seems to work...though my beer does give me a hard on.

Latest posts

Back