first rootbeer question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lissa

Reaction score
i've been thinking about making rootbeer for years. my goal has always been to make it from roots/spices/herbs, but i finally decided to give it a go with extract to see what the process is like. so i picked up a bottle of mccormick's and did a quart in a plastic bottle. i set it to brewing on thursday evening, setting it near a heat vent so it would stay reasonably warm. i watched the bubbling with the delight of a child, lol, and periodically checked the bottle for firmness. all seemed to go right according to schedule. this morning i put it in the fridge to chill.

just opened it...it's yummy, and has a pleasant amount of carbonization but has a definite 'beer' aroma and tastes a little like alcohol.... my question is, am i just smelling/tasting the yeast (i used bread yeast), or is a day and a half long enough for root beer to develop enough alcohol to smell/taste? :drunk:

i've been thinking about making rootbeer for years. my goal has always been to make it from roots/spices/herbs, but i finally decided to give it a go with extract to see what the process is like. so i picked up a bottle of mccormick's and did a quart in a plastic bottle. i set it to brewing on thursday evening, setting it near a heat vent so it would stay reasonably warm. i watched the bubbling with the delight of a child, lol, and periodically checked the bottle for firmness. all seemed to go right according to schedule. this morning i put it in the fridge to chill.

just opened it...it's yummy, and has a pleasant amount of carbonization but has a definite 'beer' aroma and tastes a little like alcohol.... my question is, am i just smelling/tasting the yeast (i used bread yeast), or is a day and a half long enough for root beer to develop enough alcohol to smell/taste? :drunk:

It could very well be the bread yeast. Next time, try a small amount of Red Star Champagne yeast. The alcohol that is present is a minute amount, and I'd have no qualms giving it to children. But bread yeast has a definite funny flavor that I find unpleasant in root beer. I've used McCormick's, and it's usually pretty good.

It could very well be the bread yeast. Next time, try a small amount of Red Star Champagne yeast. The alcohol that is present is a minute amount, and I'd have no qualms giving it to children. But bread yeast has a definite funny flavor that I find unpleasant in root beer. I've used McCormick's, and it's usually pretty good.

thank you. i'd hoped to be able to get away with the bread yeast, since i have five lbs of it in the freezer, lol. i'll have to head over to the lhbs for some champagne yeast...

lissa
(former michigander--born in saginaw, college in mt pleasant and many years in traverse city before relocating to western pennsylvania)

Latest posts

Back