Electrical questions for upcoming E-BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aubiecat

Reaction score
I am currently gathering parts for an E-BIAB rig and I have a few questions for the electricians in here.
I will be running a 4500watt element in a 44qt Bayou Classic pot in my kitchen.
My breaker bow is literally 6ft. away from my range, which is the ideal place to brew beer.
My range is currently on a 40amp breaker.

What I want to do is put a 40amp GFI breaker in the box.
Where my range plugs into the 4 prong outlet I want to put a junction box with a 4 prong outlet for my range and from there run an extra couple feet of wire to a 30amp twist lock outlet on the wall next to the range.
I don't plan on running the range during a boil because I will be able to do everything in one kettle at on time.

I don't have any room left in my breaker box, btw, so that isn't an option.

Is this feasible?

feasible yes... to code no. Code would allow you to plug in your brew pot in place of the stove but the stove has to have a dedicated line (no other branches). As for the GFCI, i am not positive if the stove will trip it, i know dryers will.

feasible yes... to code no. Code would allow you to plug in your brew pot in place of the stove but the stove has to have a dedicated line (no other branches). As for the GFCI, i am not positive if the stove will trip it, i know dryers will.

I may set it up so I can slide the range out enough to pull the range plug and plug in the e-kettle.
I'm still not sure if the range will trigger the GFCI.

Back