Mc Neills Brattleboro vt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vovo

Reaction score
Was in lower vt skiing over the weekend and stumbld upon Mc Neils brewery. Great cask condition, temp just right, awesome atmosphere taken right in by the locals. Interesting setup inside rows of old oak tables like in old english drinking halls, gets a lot of people interacting with each other good bar games going on. Drank dead horse IPA and ducksbreath, and an amber ale. Ran out of time I am leaving work, bottom line it is a great place if you are in the area or not:mug:

We met Ray McNeill at a brew session we held in Brattleboro a couple months ago. Glibbidy's a buddy of his, he came out to offer pointers and encouragement. Good guy, although a little intimidating, and one helluva brewer.

I'm from just across the river in NH, and that is my very favorite bar in the world. There's other great bars out there, but McNeil's is just about the best.

Cask ESB is probably my favorite, but it's all good. The Alletage Alt and Slopbucket Brown and the Oatmeat Stout are also faves, when they're in. Try the Bucksnort Barleywine sometime when you don't have to drive.

And yes, Ray is an odd duck. But he sure brews the most amazing beers I've ever had. He's not just a guy with one or two "signature" beers, he tackles and nails all sorts of beers.

beer4breakfast said:
I brewed a sorta-clone of McNeil's Firehouse Amber Ale. It was quite good, but I've never seen any of McNeil's brews for sale down here in Texas, so I don't know what the real thing is like.

You can barely get his beer in VT! There's one store in my old hometown, though, that always has his stuff in stock. We could arrange a swap if you wanted.

beer4breakfast said:
I brewed a sorta-clone of McNeil's Firehouse Amber Ale. It was quite good, but I've never seen any of McNeil's brews for sale down here in Texas, so I don't know what the real thing is like.

Typically you won't find any of Mcneill's products outside of VT. Occasionally bar owners will come to town to pickup kegs for their establishements. He is in the prcocess of building a new brewery which will be able handle the demand for his product in the Northeast. Ray is a brilliant man, and a great friend.

Back