Installing a 'Pico' false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndMan3030

Reaction score
Anyone done this? My main concern is i only get one shot at drilling the hole in the keg. I am worried it won't be low enough to get the bulkhead under the false bottom. gimme some feedback ya'll!!

I have one of these they work great.
What I did, instead of putting a coupling on the side of the Kettle as low
as you can, put a 1/2'' elbow directly in the center of the bottom
and run a nipple out past the side of the kettle.
The other thing I did was put 4 - 1.5" feet on the bottom of kettle
to raise it up enough to let nipple out.
The great thing about this way is you don't have to worry about dip tubes etc.and you know your always pulling from under center of the mash.
I've had it set up like this for about 15 years.
Also you can round the support braces of the bottom so it can sit a little lower in the kettle.
Hope this helps.

Road king, am I correct in assuming you never put a burner under your mash ton. I considered setting mine up like you, but I wanted the ability to heat the mash. I figured pitting a burner under that pipe full of wort would burn it real fast.

Actually I have a direct fired RIMS set up, so I am constantly recirculating.
Also I sleeved the 1/2" stainless nipple,first with a 1" steel nipple and then a 1 1/4" nipple over that, to shield it.
Set up like this I've never scorched anything, even before I started constantly circulating. (It's probably better not to take the chance of not circulating especially while firing.)
If your interested I could post a couple pictures.

I'd like to see pictures, too. I have a direct fire RIMS system and would love a bottom-drain on my MLT...

Hope I did this right. Don't mind the dirty garage.
1.. Is a pic of the over all stand
2..The outlet and heat shield. You can also see the little feet. To make it ez you could probably just sit kettle on a couple pieces of 1 1/2'' steel tubing.
3..Heat shield and feet
4...Supports trimmed down.

Stand.jpg

outlet.jpg

heat shield.jpg

supports.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, Roadking. I really like your setup, and it looks doable. Definitely adding this to my projects list...

Just installed my false bottom and it fit just fine. I did not use a bottom drain, just drilled the hole as low as I could. The false botomm sits right above hardware inside the keg. I plan on recirulating with direct heat as well. Can't wait to use it tomorrow!

Back