Seeking proven oven method for bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavrick1903

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got 4 batches on deck to bottle, so I'm looking at going through 10+ cases of bottles. I'm looking for a solid oven method I can use to bulk process these bottles. My concerns are that the oven temps would make the bottles more brittle? Do I need to be label free going in?

I can't help you there but when this happens to me I clean a case to two every day. say 20 minutes each time.

Once then are clean they go back in the cases and covered just awaiting being sanitized and then immediately filled.

I have found that those “Rubber-Maid” totes. are a good size to soak bottles (clean)

Good luck…

DPB

FWIW, If I had 10 cases of bottles to sanitize, I would use star san, put about an ounce in each bottle, shake to wet the interior of the bottle and drain. I have used the oven method years ago and found it to be a hassle loading and unloading the bottles, slowly heating them up, then waiting for them to cool. Star San FTW!

I almost always use the oven method. Bottling is a big enough ball pain without having also to sanitize the bottles on the same day. My method (from John Palmer), which has never failed in the years I've been brewing:

Remove labels and glue. That stuff stinks if it's cooked!

Aluminium foil to cover the opening of each bottle. Place bottles in a cool oven. Set oven to bake @ 310F, let bake for 2 hours (that's two hours AFTER temp has been reached, not two hours after you start the oven). At the end of the baking time turn the oven off and let the bottles cool on their own, preferably overnight. Remove, sort, store. As long as the foil remains intact, they're good in perpetuity.

make 5 gallon of sanitizer... put bottles in big tub... pour 5 gall bucket of sanitizer all over them... BAM.. you are done

Back