Cut the hump to make my fermenter? Any advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katy_bug

Reaction score
I was gifted this wine refrigerator:
20528036-200x200-0-0.jpg

Good news is that there is no freezer to deal with so internal height is ideal.

Bad news is that I can almost get the door closed around my 5g carboy. I know most people end up making a collar but since I don't need much clearance in the back, I was thinking about trimming the compressor hump and resealing. Anyone had much luck with this? I know the compressor is back there, but so is alot of insulation so I was hoping it wouldn't be a tremendously big deal.

Thoughts?

I have a wine fridge just like that. It's good for storing large Belgian bottles as well as wine for SWMBO. :) But, I think you could do what you're talking about.

If it is that close, just make a collar out of 2x2s. That way you don't damage anything.

I would first see how easy it would be to bump the door out, especially if you don't need to make much room. Just get some longer screws for the hinges, a couple spacers, and extra weather stripping.

Or look for a narrower carboy. Have you considered fermenting in a corny? Or a bucket?

Probably not the answer(s) you were looking for, sorry! Let us know how it turns out, whatever you end up doing.

COULD you? Sure, you can do anything given enough money and time.

I'd imagine a collar would be cheaper, take less time to make sure it's done right, and ultimately if you decide to sell the fridge, you can take it off and won't have to explain what ya did to it.

If you dont plan on using the fridge for anything else ever you can definitely do it. I did it recently with a mini fridge and it cost me under $20 (spray insulation and aluminum tape). After I cut away the hump I had to set the compressor back using all the hardware and mounting holes already on the fridge. Then just wrapped the compressor from the inside with cardboard and covered it with spray insulation. All that was left to do was tape over the insulation and I was good to go. you can get the gist of what I did here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/mini-fridge-fermentation-chamber-323118/

the compressor hump insulation is 2" thick , i would just trim the insulation in the shape of the carboy . and put some silver tape over it . you need to leave the compressor with its protected metal area alone . the compressor needs its space area untouched for heat loss and the metal is for wiring fire protection...

I ended up making a collar and let me tell you, it was so much easier than attempting to cut away the hump. Here are some pics:

The collar:
2012-06-16%252010.13.05.jpg

Installed on the door:
2012-06-26%252007.41.20.jpg

Finished product with a saison bubbling away:
IMG_20120626_073955.jpg

2012-06-26%252007.41.40.jpg

Back