Flowers in June?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HALIFAXHOPS

Reaction score
Anyone else getting flowers on their hops yet? I cannot believe that is early June! I will get some pics in my gallery later today.

If your hops have been up for about three months, you should have burrs. If you're like me and some of the other more southern hope growers, who have plants that have been up since March, you have hops.

These are four year old plants, the first sign of life this year was early may, really bad winter, and extremely wet spring. I put up three pics, sorry about the quality, need to get a better camera.

My second year plants started to burr/cone about a week ago, when they hit the top of the ~18' trellis. I didn't cut the first shoots back, so I think they've been up since early to mid April? Just found a pic of them 1-2 feet tall on April 21st.

What are the negatives of having them produce cones so early? Will the summer heat cause problems or just make it an early harvest?

Some of mine have flowers forming ,we too had a long hard winter and a wet spring. Most of mine are third year and are about three feet over my 20 ft top cable.

Pat

I cannot belive it I hand picked a couple of pounds of cascade this morning! Look at my gallery. Great shape!

PICT0400.jpg

Back