should i dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Righlander

Reaction score
Okay, I got this Brewers Best Classic English Pale Ale in my primary. It's been in the primary almost 3 weeks. Now, a lot of people are saying that the brewers best kits aren't hopped enough. I was wondering if I should dry hop it, as i hate under hopped beers. So, this is the recipe

5 gal
60 minute boil
3.3lbs plain light LME
2lbs plain light DME
8oz crystal malt
1oz kent golding hops 60 minutes
1 1/2 oz glacier hops 5 minutes
nottingham yeast

will it be hopped enough? if not has it been in the primary too long to dry hop it? could, or should i move it to a secondary and dry hop it? if so what kind of hops?

an ounce of Cascade never hurts anything in my opinion for a dry hop...

+1...If you want to maintain the English air, roll with something like Fuggles, Goldings, or Willamette. I've just gotten a hold of some primo '08 American Willamette that I think would be perfect for something like this...from eBay if you can believe it. The name of the store is HopHouse Sales. They have all kinds of fantastic varieties for cheap, and do buy one get one from time to time, making it very affordable given the crop situation.

In any case, here's a link to his "store": HopHouse Sales

Wouldn't a true english classic pale ale be considered under hopped when compared to American Pale Ales or IPAs? Add too many hops and I wonder how 'classic' the english pale ale will be.

Wouldn't a true english classic pale ale be considered under hopped when compared to American Pale Ales or IPAs? Add too many hops and I wonder how 'classic' the english pale ale will be.

Add "too many" hops and it probably wouldn't be English classic. I guess you might call it an American interpretation of a classic English style.

Or just dry hop with .25 oz. Just enough to be noticed but not overpower the beer. But then again my ex always said I had no style, and truly I make beers I like and styles to me are guidelines and not set in stone.

Or just dry hop with .25 oz. Just enough to be noticed but not overpower the beer. But then again my ex always said I had no style, and truly I make beers I like and styles to me are guidelines and not set in stone.

I agree, if you're pretty cautious and don't like really hoppy bears, .25oz would be just a small noticeable amount. If you really like them hoppy though, bump it up.

Very interesting. I have an Irish Red and might twist the recipe a bit by dry hopping some cascade because of this thread. The smell of cascade is pretty much heavenly imo.

Never dry hopped before, anything special i need to do with the hops to sanitize them? or just sanitize my hands, the bag they come in and plop em in my sanitized secondary and siphon on top? Can i use pellets? or are whole hops preferable for dry hopping?

Thanks for the great idea :p I'll consider this my first foray into recipe tweaking.

Back