SNP Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I opened the first one today (this is the one we mourned 2 weeks ago when my bottling Bucket cracked)

It brought a tear to my eye, it is probably one of the best American Style Ales I have brewed.. I began crying when I thought about the 3 gallons of this brew that were lost to the crack in the bucket. :eek: I got more depressed when I thought about the fact there isn't enough of it to drown my sorrows about the rest in... This is one of the batches that needs to be shared, It is just too good to hoard.. the kind of result that will get your friends into brewing their own........

Fortunately I have plenty of high ABV, Imperial hellfire (batch 1) to drown my sorrows in :rockin:

.5# American Crystal 60L steep (1.5 gallon)
Boil (3 gallons)
1# Light DME
4oz Malto Dextrin
1oz nugget (leaf) (60 min)

at 45 min bring water back to 3 gallons
6# light DME
.5oz perle (leaf)(15min)
Irish moss
1oz Cascade (leaf)(Aroma)
.5oz cascade (leaf) Dry hop 2 weeks in secondary

Wyeast 1056
Bottled with 3/4 cup Corn sugar

The recipie came from "CloneBrews" with slight mod and I used leaf instead of pellets

budbo said:
I learned about doing that from one of your posts :ban:

I did the same thing. I was reading about how you add the dme really late, and was thinking about how i dont get a good bitterness percentage(probably cuz i usually put the dme in right away, which means at 3 lbs dme +4 gallons of 1.040 wort, your talking a REALLY high boiling gravity 1.070+), so my last batch i mashed 6 lbs of grain, collected about 4.5 gallons of wort and boiled that for 30 minutes with 2 oz. of challenger in there. Then i removed the pot, added about 4 lbs dme, brought it back to a boil, then threw in some flavor hops and boiled for another 30 min. The only problem was that i got a double hot-break, which is good really.

I started doing it for color, I found as HB99 said adding the DME at 15 min left I get a lighter color and the beer seems a little more bitter due to less carmelization.. since I started that SWMBO will actually drink my beer ..which is a good thing.. If my Asahi clone comes out (once i get the rest of my rig) I should be forgiven for all the $$ I spent...

I'm glad you guys are experimenting with it too.

I have been pleased with all my brews, color and flavor, ever since switching up. I think the "double" hot break helps with the clarity too, but don't quote me.:D

Bjorn Borg - try adding the DME with only 15 mins left instead of 1/2 hour. That's 15 mins more potential carmelization going on there.

Budbo - I'm glad your wife is pleased with your brews because we all know...if momma ain't happy, nobody's happy!:D

I've been experimenting with lighter brews lately. Some of my family don't like drinking Weizen all the time...I made a "strange brew" "yeasterday"...

1.5 gal water with 1 lb Extra Light DME and 2 oz Saaz (whole - 3.4% AA = 6.8% at 60 mins), boil 30 mins add another oz Saaz, boil 15 mins and add 1 tsp Irish moss (rehydrated) and 5.5 lbs XLDME, boil another 10 and add 1 oz Saaz, boil 5 more and remove from heat. Sparge hops and top off fermenter to 5.5 gals. I used rehydrated Doric yeast. The OG was 1054.

I call it "The Czech's in the Ale". I've never used 4 oz of hops before so I know it will be more bitter than I'm used to, but hey it'll be drinkable...:drunk:

Later...I have my "honey-do" list in front of me...funny not one mention of brewing on it...I must have the wrong list again...:D

homebrewer_99 said:
I call it "The Czech's in the Ale".

Haha. I had to say that out loud to 'get it'. :drunk: I used over 4oz of Saaz in my last Pilsner and it's awesome.

What is Doric yeast? I'm guessing a clean ale yeast?

Doric yeast is dry. It comes in a small white packet and speaks with a Canadian accent. Eh?!:D

I've used it before with good results.

I just drank one of my ESBs (Extra Special Bitter) that I brewed last Sep. It tastes great!:drunk: I only have 5 bottles left. I used the Doric yeast for that one too.

homebrewer_99 said:
I'm glad you guys are experimenting with it too.

I call it "The Czech's in the Ale". :D

Thats the best Czech pun ive heard since Ivan Lendl played Pat Cash and fans were holding up "we dont accept Czechs!" signs...

Any whoo, thats the last batch im using extract with. I just got my 10 gallon kettle, and my immersion chiller is in the mail (not to mention my keggle which only needs to be drilled, false bottom-ed, and spigot-ed)

Back