3-tier stand build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrpark22000

Reaction score
Over the last few months I have been gathering parts. Construction is underway and I hope to have most of the intial build completed in a few weeks.

http://www.thefatmanbrewery.com/5.html

I have everything mapped out in Visio, have .xls parts list, plumbing diagrams, and was thinking of making a write up similar to the brutus ten. Would it be worth my time? Anybody interested in making thier own replica?

It will be feed with natural gas jet burners, and use 3 converted kegs. All the shelves are able to swivel 360deg and be full height adjustment. The 4th shelf is for the CFC chiller. The pump will be mounted on the base. Once the design has proven itself, I will grind down all the welds, bondo to make smooth, and paint.

Josh

I'd be interested....is it gravity fed, or pump fed?

I'm getting ready to make one here very soon

98EXL said:
I'd be interested....is it gravity fed, or pump fed?
I'm getting ready to make one here very soon

It really could be setup for either. I will have an elevated mash tun and will be using a pump, but adjust the shelves to your setup and it could be done all with gravity. I need it to fit in my basement, so to the top of the mash tun it will only be 5'2". No ladder needed.

If I get a couple requests I will put together some documentation pretty quickly, If I get more I will spend the time and create a .pdf outlining full details once I get my stand built and tested.
In the mean time I am trying to get the visio and .xls running lists posted on the website.

Hmmm. I was wondering if you could get away with 2" square tubing for the center support. I was designing one, but I've got no problems if somebody has done all the measuring work.

Consider me interested as well.

Ok, on the website I have posted a visio detailed engineering drawing with all measurements for the brew stand. I also have posted a parts list for the brew stand structure. (The only thing I am planning on changing is the adjustable burner height structures, I am planning on figuring these out tomorrow.)

Now that I look back at the project, I always over build. The 2x2 tubing .120 (11 guage) could be changed to 2x2 .80 or so and still be strong enough, much thinner and less experiences welders may have problems burning through.

To answer CLUTCHDUDE, you probably could use 2x2 .120 for the post but I would probably make it thinner 3x3 to prevent any flexing of the post.
I chose round for 1 main advantage, rotating the shelves. I can store the stand with all the shelves inline and can rotate them offset during the brew to make easier access to the lower vessels, and for better steam venting. I can swing the upper vessel to the side allowing the steam to go up and not at the bottom of my mash tun.

Back