Should I Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gover151

Reaction score
So after searching many threads and the FAQ in this thread I havn't been able to come up with a definite answer due to the different opinions. Given my equipment, a primary bucket and a glass carboy I'm wondering what my best option is.

My first batch went straight into the glass Carboy, after 4 weeks I plan on bottling it, my second batch is in the primary bucket right now and when I bottle it will have been in two weeks, so my options are to transfer to the carboy, or leave it in the primary and mix up a new batch and go straight to the carboy for a month.

Not sure if it matters or not but I'm using Coopers kits to get my feet wet.

I don't want to start another debate, just looking for peoples experiences from when they first started.

Also, can you get a kit for oatmeal stout I've been reading about, sounds like it would be the ideal breakfast

gover151 said:
So after searching many threads and the FAQ in this thread I havn't been able to come up with a definite answer due to the different opinions. Given my equipment, a primary bucket and a glass carboy I'm wondering what my best option is.

My first batch went straight into the glass Carboy, after 4 weeks I plan on bottling it, my second batch is in the primary bucket right now and when I bottle it will have been in two weeks, so my options are to transfer to the carboy, or leave it in the primary and mix up a new batch and go straight to the carboy for a month.

Not sure if it matters or not but I'm using Coopers kits to get my feet wet.

I don't want to start another debate, just looking for peoples experiences from when they first started.

Also, can you get a kit for oatmeal stout I've been reading about, sounds like it would be the ideal breakfast

Sorry but you can't raise this question without re-opening a long standing debate:)

IMO as well as many others, extended primary with no secondary is perfectly fine and secondary is only used for fruit or oak or long term bulk conditioning.

If you want to brew more beer then get another primary:)

If you're comfortable racking beer to a secondary To clear the beer then do so, honestly, there is no. Right or wrong and it's really up to the individual brewer.

My new response to this question is - move it to secondary only if you have a good reason to. You'll have to figure out what works for you, but for me, good reasons to use a secondary include:

1) adding fruit, oak, or other flavor addition like cocoa nibs
2) long term, bulk aging, including lagering
3) you need the primary for another brew (even if you have more than 1 primary you'll still run into this)

Reasons, for me, not to move the beer:
1) dry hopping (I have no desire to move a beer to another vessel for just a few days and I see no detriment to dry hopping in the primary)
2) to clear the beer - there is nothing magical about using a secondary that will clear your beer faster. Yeast and other particles fall out of suspension at the same rate whether the beer is in primary or secondary.
3) because the recipe/instructions said so

Fair enough, so a secondary question, am I ok using my glass carboy as a primary? The local u-brew said this was not a good idea due to the small opening, however they have also given me some advice which contradicts alot of what a I read on here, and he also looked at me like I had three heads when I asked if they sell bottling buckets, asking what are those?

gover151 said:
Fair enough, so a secondary question, am I ok using my glass carboy as a primary? The local u-brew said this was not a good idea due to the small opening, however they have also given me some advice which contradicts alot of what a I read on here, and he also looked at me like I had three heads when I asked if they sell bottling buckets, asking what are those?

If you are brewing a 5 gallon batch then you want either a 6.5 gallon carboy or the same sized bucket, any less and there is not enough head space for the krausen-either way, use a blow off!

If you choose to secondary then you want a 5 gallon carboy with an "s" type airlock to prevent suck back and the smaller carboy minimizes head space and oxidation. Rack 'quietly' to minimize aeration of the finished beer! Never move the beer from primary unlit at FG!

Jlem is spot on:rockin:

I just moved my saison to a carboy secondary because I wanted to free up the bucket. Not a big deal at all, just be sanitary. Or you can always buy another primary bucket like I did, but now here I am still looking for more primary room and going to a secondary.

I have never used anything but a glass carboy for fermentation. Be carefull lugging it around, buy a brew hauler. I like watching my beer, I guess I'm a beer voyeur.

3) you need the primary for another brew (even if you have more than 1 primary you'll still run into this)

That's the only reason that I normally use secondary. 99% of the time it's just to free up a ferment vessel. One time I racked onto wood chips.

NO secondary... for extended primary high OG I use glass. Quick turn around bacthes (low abv) I use buckets or better bottles, and you might as well buy more now (buckets with lids are only $15) believe me you'll be doing it down the road eventually...

I'd for sure recommend a bottling bucket.

Back