Quick question for the pros

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronacj

Reaction score
I'm currently brewing my first batch (kit).

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAMS-AMERICAN-IPA-P1511C183.aspx

It has been fermenting for over a week and has reached a
gravity of 1.019 (recommended per instructions 1.022 or less).

"Fourteen days after the start of fermentation, open and check beer with a hydrometer to be sure the finishing gravity of 1.022 or less has been reached (finishing gravities vary from batch to batch, and yours may be a bit lower). If the gravity is above 1.022, stir beer gently with a sanitized spoon, reseal, and wait 4 more days before rechecking."

Can i bottle? The first 3-4 days were pretty wild with the bubble contraption going wild. I had foam for the first 2 days popping out of the thing. I have read that some time fermentation can be quicker. plus i just got me a 6 gal better bottle i want to try out!

Thanks,
Aaron

Let it ferment for two weeks. Get used to this practice; be patient. Yeast will still be working even if you can't see airlock activity, and your beer will taste better. Check FG at that point. If it's around your expected FG (my guess is it should end around 1.013; 1.022 is too high for a 5% ABV American IPA) and no airlock activity (less than 1 bubble per minute), rack and bottle.

Bottle when it is done fermenting.

Best way to do this is as follows:

Take a gravity reading after 10-14 days. Take another at 17 days. If your gravities are the same on day 14 and day 17, you're good to go. If they aren't... wait 2 more days and check the gravity again. If the day 17 and 19 readings are the same, you're now good to go. Repeat if not the same (2 days, etc...).

Let it ferment for two weeks. Get used to this practice; be patient. Yeast will still be working even if you can't see airlock activity, and your beer will taste better. Check FG at that point. If it's around your expected FG (my guess is it should end around 1.013; 1.022 is too high for a 5% ABV American IPA) and no airlock activity (less than 1 bubble per minute), rack and bottle.

Thanks for the quick reply! I have sat and stared at it and got no bubbles after 3+ mins. I didn't see the level of the bubble change either i guess ill give it a few more days as you recommended.:(

Thanks for the quick reply! I have sat and stared at it and got no bubbles after 3+ mins. I didn't see the level of the bubble change either i guess ill give it a few more days as you recommended.:(

Never use bubbles in your hydrometer as a indicator of fermentation. Sure, if you are getting active bubbling the day after you pitched, the transfer is likely because the fermentation is going steady and exchanging gas quickly. But, some fermentations won't show airlock activity at all near the end of their fermentation and will still be working. You really have to use a hydrometer to be sure, and once the readings are stable, you can be reasonably assured that your fermentation is complete.

(Where's Revvy when ya need him?)

Good luck!

I have sat and stared at it...

Stop doing this, or you'll go insane. Go search "RDWHAHB". Brewing isn't for the hasty. Start up your next batch, get a couple in your pipeline, and you'll have plenty of awesome beer to drink in due time. Just don't rush it, or your beer will suffer.

And I don't want to kill your buzz, but if you bottle condition/carbonate your beer, that's another 3 weeks to wait. Ouch! Better start on that keezer build soon!

Back