WOOHOO!!!! First time brewer #Winning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilv4xn

Reaction score
:ban::ban::mug::rockin:

Forgive me for tooting my own horn. I know I can't win every time.
until about 4 weeks ago I had never made beer. jumped in with both feet and went all grain for a first batch. first batch was an oatmeal stout.

Larrys Oatmeal stout (LHBS)
10LB 2row
1/2LB black malt
1LB roasted bareley
1/2LB chocolate malt
3/4LB
80L crystal
1/2C molasses
1LB flaked oats
2oz Erroica 45min
2oz cascade 15mi
1 Tsp Irish moss
1 Irish ale yeast
4T ground coffee

H20 at 153 into mash tun with grain and coffee 60min
oatmeal in a pot with a gal of 160 H2O 20min then sparge oats
Sparge with 170H2O
aprox 6.25G wart add molasses

A few weeks have gone by and the wife and I had a blind taste test with Homebrew vs Ninkasi OATIS and Samuel Smith Oatmeal stout. We were able to pick our's from a blind test but
Ours was very very close to Ninkasi our neighbor thought our Homebrew was the commercial beer :mug:

One Happy Homebrewer!!

Congratulations! It's always nice to get those types of compliments when people try your beer. Get used to it because it's gonna keep happening! Welcome to the addiction. Cheers.

I am already planning a batch for next weekend. 5g or 10g? And ohhhh what to make??

ilv4xn said:
I am already planning a batch for next weekend. 5g or 10g? And ohhhh what to make??

10 gallons for a 2nd batch ever? Sir, I admire your tenacity. If you got the kettle for it, why not?

As far as a recipe goes I'd say make the type of beer you like to drink. I always say you can't go wrong with a nice brown ale or a hoppy IPA. Follow your heart.

I can still remember how GOOD my first batch tasted to me. mainly cause it was only about 8 months ago LOL. But still.

When you get a small but devoted fanbase (I personally have about five who demand to be served with a four-pack of every batch I make), it kicks that satisfaction up even more. A stout was a pretty ballsy first brew to make, I must admit.

Having said that, hell, the world's your oyster. I personally have developed about four recipes I like doing, and have done multiple times. I've got an APA I do that's moving up the list of my favorites, an ESB that admittedly, is moving down, an IPA that will become KILLA when I introduce dry-hopping, and now that I have my fridge, I shall be making some amber lagers.

Welcome!

A bit of advice when making your own recipes: start with smaller batches (3g), because if it's not right you end up with a ton of bad beer to drink. You can always make a large batch if your 3gal turns out great!

HootHootHoot said:
Welcome!

A bit of advice when making your own recipes: start with smaller batches (3g), because if it's not right you end up with a ton of bad beer to drink. You can always make a large batch if your 3gal turns out great!

+1 for the smaller batches. Im going to be doing BIAB and I only have a 4 gallon pot. But it means I can brew more batches.

My wife is wanting a clone of widmere Citra summer blond. I can only find one recipe online there is just not much about it.

Back