Filtering and Conditioning Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but it does clear it quickly and that can radically change the flavor for the better.

I agree with David, a lot of what happens during "conditioning" is yeast driven. If you take the yeast away, you take the conditioning away. It will drastically change the flavor and may clean up some flavors, but I think that is basically ends conditioning. Somebody correct me (as I have known to most of the time be wrong).

Do either of you know anyone that uses one of these? Is it worth the $40?

MidRex said:
Do either of you know anyone that uses one of these? Is it worth the $40?

If you ty to build if from scratch it won't be cheaper.

What bothers me with these filters is, that the reasonable priced ones are nominal filters, meaning that only on average they filter anything lager than 1um. I have seen that this was not sufficient to get a brilliant beer. That's why I will be using them in conjunction with polyclar. It also helps if you can make them last for at least 2 brews by filtering them the same day or storing the filter in the fridge after the first filtering. This will keep any spoilage problems in check. I also flush the filter with boiled (deaerated) water before use to minimize the O2 pick-up from the filter.

Kai

Back