Someone with the recent BYO....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
...with the article on how to make the home-made thru-mometer, can you give me the info in there regarding the clear PVC pipe nipple? I don't have the mag with me right now and I want to order that piece tonight.

I need the length and diameter if it says it.

Thanks!

I'm curious how well that's going to work (hopefully, it'll work well). Doesn't seem like the PVC is going to transfer the heat all that quickly. Wondering how long it'll take before it gives you an accurate reading.

:off: The featured system in this issue is way crazy! OMG! That thing rocks, but I am not sure I would want 100 gallon fermenters, but Jeezus that thing is wild....

OK, you can have your thread back.

Thanx BP.
In testing, the metal took about 8 seconds and the pvc took about 15. I wonder if you could put the thermo strip inside the pvc and still be able to read it.

Are we talking about the new January Issue with Belgium beers on the cover? That is the one with the system I am drooling over, not the POS in the December issue. I haven't read January's yet, but are they talking about those sticky back thermo patch deals? If so, why not attach it to a copper tube? I can see I have some reading to catch up with.

THANKS!

I'm interested in the clear PVC only because I want it for the cool factor. I'm sure copper would work great though.

Honestly the time difference doesn't matter to me.

Dude said:
THANKS!

I'm interested in the clear PVC only because I want it for the cool factor. I'm sure copper would work great though.

Honestly the time difference doesn't matter to me.

Clear PVC is cool. I have a cooling unit on a still (in theory) that is made of clear PVC. It was cool until the vapors (theoretically) clouded it all up.

Sometimes all the reason you need is "cool".

Now I am really embarrassed. The article Dude is referring to IS in the December issue. I thought Dude was talking about some article in the January issue which I just received, in which there is a really cool system. So I wasn't doing a dance in your face, look at my system, kind of thing, although I can see how it would look that way!

But the system in the January issue IS really cool AND the guy lives here in Albuquerque! I have to meet this guy. Anyone named Jim Bieberman out there? When your January issue comes, check out this guys set up. Unreal.

BP you are being far too modest. There are probably 5 things in YOUR set-up that Jim is drooling over. If you guys get together, I think homebrew heaven or hell will break out in NM! I just hope HE'S prepared. And make sure that the ATF people aren't monitoring your meeting! Can't wait for my BYO subscription to kick in.

Sully

Back