Grain bill as Percentage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanHolton

Reaction score
Long time lurker, 1st time poster.... Here goes:

I got a recipe from the Surly Brewing website for a beer they brewed for a AHA rally at the brewery. The deal was Todd brewed a 60bbls batch of wort and gave it to attendees who furnished their own sanitized fermenters. Brewers would furnish their own yeast. Pretty cool concept if you ask me. Anyway, the recipe was posted on their website as follows:

Surly / AHA Rally Beer Recipe
82% Canada Malting Pale Ale Malt
10.8% Fawcett Brown Malt
3.6% Dark Candi Syrup
1.8% Fawcett Crystal 85L
1.8% Fawcett Dark Crystal 120L
Bittering –Columbus
Whirlpool/aroma -Willamette
OG 19.5
IBU 64

I'd like some help converting this to a five gallon recipe. I'm not sure how the percentages are calculated.... Whether they're % of OG, or % of grain bill weight or what exactly. Also, would you just throw the candi syrup into the boil?

Thanks for your help!

Those will be percentages of the total grain bill.

And, yes, I would throw the syrup into the boil.

Percentage of total grain bill, so you need to work backwards knowing the batch size and OG. My back of the envelop estimate for 5 gallons with 70% brewhouse efficiency:
12.00 pounds pale ale malt
1.575 pounds brown malt
8.5 ounces candi syrup
4.25 ounces crystal 85L
4.25 ounce crystal 120L

Most of the IBUs come from the Columbus Hops, probably 1 ounce boiled for 60 minutes in a 5 gallon batch.

Here you go champ:

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.67 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
13 lbs 8.3 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.00 %
1 lbs 12.5 oz Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 10.80 %
4.7 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 1.80 %
4.7 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 1.80 %
9.5 oz Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) Sugar 3.60 %

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.081 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.021 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.94 %
Bitterness: 0.0 IBU Calories: 238 cal/pint
Est Color: 26.5 SRM

SUPER easy to do in Brewsmith. All I did was enter all the ingredients, but used the percents as pounds. what I got was a 5.5 gallon batch with 100 lbs of grain, all in the right proportions. I hit "gravity" and typed in "19.5 plato", and it scaled the grains to get the correct gravity.

Brewsmith only had dark candi sugar, not dark candi syrup...hope you can figure that out, (I've never worked with it)

Thanks Shorty! I'll be brewing this one next week! I gotta get my hands on beersmith, apparently!
Best,
V

Back