Any use for Twist off bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! I feel kinda bad, my friend just dropped off 24 bottles because he caught wind of my home brew hobby. The kicker is they are all bud light twist offs. Can I use these for anything?

Well, I've had some friend cap some HB in twist offs. Some of the beers were good, some were not! The ones that were not would either not have a proper seal and be exposed to air at all times or some would come open during carbination and not be carbbed.

Short answer, dont try it. Not really worth it. Say thanks and next time he asks say you have plenty of bottles.

Like boo boo said, if you got a bench capper, capping these are no problem. If you got a handheld wing capper, you can still cap these, but you may have some that don't seal properly...I've got alot of twist offs that i'm going to keep using...:D

I gotta go with SOB. I've had a few people give me twist offs and then later on i tell them "oh, my capper wouldn't cap, thanks though". It's not worth ruining half a batch of beer.

If you are in a state with a returnable bottle law, you can return them and buy some pop top beers. May I suggest a nice Bells Third Coast Beer. I have a bench capper and tried some twist offs with success, 1 out of 12 did not seal, but I was in a pinch. I wouldn't use them if I didn't need to. So use the $2.40 in refund to fund fresh beer.:cross:

They might seal and they might not, it's not worth the risk. I get all the bottles I need for a ten cent deposit at a local beverage store.

Tom

I use a wing capper and I bottled nearly half my last batch with bud light twist offs and everything worked out just dandy.

Good point on the bench capper. I was using a hand held capper and those dont have the kind of torque that the bench ones have. So, yeah, you could probably use them (especially with a bench capper) but I still dont see the benefit. Unless you're bottling and short a couple bottles. Then I would rather try my luck than throw out the beer!

Back