Yeast Looks Nasty In The Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batches_brew

Reaction score
Isn't it supposed to be fine in texture?

I haven't opened my first batch yet. I'm looking at my second which is a hefe. I clarified it in the secondary and it looked too clear when I bottled so I was curious if any yeast was collecting. So I hold the bottle in the light and it looks amazingly clear. I turned it upside down and gave it a little swirl and a cloud of yeast started to drift off of the bottom. That looks normal to me but then I notice little specks about the size of a pepper floating off the bottom.

Well I'm happy to see yeast after only 5 days in the bottle but I am worried about contamination. The bits are probably yeast, huh? I should kick back and not think about it till opening time.

Since I don't have any homebrew ready I should go buy a hefe and look at it's yeast. I never observed it closely, just swirled it and dumped it over the beer. Now that it's mine I'm hyper aware of everything in it.

I decided to check my brown and while it was harder to see with the beer being dark, I saw some specks in there as well.

These are my first beers so I really have no idea what to look for.

You will have sediment. It won't necessarily be 100% yeast. There may be a small amount of trub in there as well depending on your filtering if any when siphoning and how careful you were. it won't hurt anything, just don't pour it in the glass

Back