• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Electric Herms Brewing System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudy0498

Reaction score
This is pretty much my dream system, except I realized my dream doesn't fit my reality. I just don't have enough time to devote to brewing this way. So I am going to down size to a simpler BIAB setup. I slowly pieced this system together over the last 2 years, and really just finished it in January. It comes with pretty much everything you need except a chiller and a stand. It is all stainless with the exception of the silicone tubing, orings, polysulphone disconnects, and the impellers in the pumps.

System includes:
- 3 keggles with 2 piece ss weldless ball valves (upgraded to gaskets instead of orings), dip tubes, bobby m's sight glasses, and 4" rtd probes.
- BK has a 5500w ULD element, and 2nd ball valve for whirlpooling.
- HLT has a 5500w HWD element, and a SS HEX that I coiled myself. It has a couple of small kinks but turned out better than a lot that I have seen.
- MLT has a jaybird 15" hinged false bottom with a handle, Loc Line sparge arm, and 3 layers of reflectex insulation wrapped around it covered in black gorilla tape.
- Control panel is a large plastic enclosure that has 2 Auber PIDs and switches to control power to both elements and pumps. It is also fused properly to protect all of the components.
- a pump stand with 2 practically new SS Chugger pumps with extra ball valves on the outlets for priming.

I have about $2000 in this system. I'm asking $1500 and I am located in central Indiana, and would be willing to drive up to 2 hours to meet a committed buyer half way. If someone wants to do a test drive at my place, I am open to that as well.

I will work on getting pictures posted tomorrow. Pm me if you have any questions. Not interested in parting it out.

Wow, I've been looking to upgrade. Can't wait to see some pics of this setup. Just bought a new laptop so might be hard to convince SWMBO on this, but after seeing some pics, I'll think about it.

*sigh* If only you had this up for sale a month ago I would have jumped on it and even paid for freight shipping to Maine.

This is pretty much my dream system, except I realized my dream doesn't fit my reality. I just don't have enough time to devote to brewing this way. So I am going to down size to a simpler BIAB setup. I slowly pieced this system together over the last 2 years, and really just finished it in January. It comes with pretty much everything you need except a chiller and a stand. It is all stainless with the exception of the silicone tubing, orings, polysulphone disconnects, and the impellers in the pumps.

System includes:
- 3 keggles with 2 piece ss weldless ball valves (upgraded to gaskets instead of orings), dip tubes, bobby m's sight glasses, and 4" rtd probes.
- BK has a 5500w ULD element, and 2nd ball valve for whirlpooling.
- HLT has a 5500w HWD element, and a SS HEX that I coiled myself. It has a couple of small kinks but turned out better than a lot that I have seen.
- MLT has a jaybird 15" hinged false bottom with a handle, Loc Line sparge arm, and 3 layers of reflectex insulation wrapped around it covered in black gorilla tape.
- Control panel is a large plastic enclosure that has 2 Auber PIDs and switches to control power to both elements and pumps. It is also fused properly to protect all of the components.
- a pump stand with 2 practically new SS Chugger pumps with extra ball valves on the outlets for priming.

I have about $2000 in this system. I'm asking $1500 and I am located in central Indiana, and would be willing to drive up to 2 hours to meet a committed buyer half way. If someone wants to do a test drive at my place, I am open to that as well.

I will work on getting pictures posted tomorrow. Pm me if you have any questions. Not interested in parting it out.

I'd also like to be considered if you decide to part out, I'm located in Lafayette and travel to Indy occasionally. Looking forward to these pictures, currently building my own e-Herms system and may consider purchasing many (quite possibly a majority (don't want to jump the gun just yet) of the components

TheGeek said:
Wow, I've been looking to upgrade. Can't wait to see some pics of this setup. Just bought a new laptop so might be hard to convince SWMBO on this, but after seeing some pics, I'll think about it.

If you are close enough to brownsburg and just want to stop by and check it out, I am cool with that.

OK...finally some pics....

Here is it all set up (sorry you can't have the awesome stand):
HERMS_1.JPG

Here is the front of the panel. I move the RTD cable attached to the 2nd PID from the MLT to the BK after the mash:
Panel_1.JPG

Here is the back of the panel. There are 2 extra plugs that aren't switched.
Panel_2.JPG

More to come...

Here is the BK. FYI...the RTD fitting in the BK and HLT are attached with half couplings instead of lock nuts. I already had them on hand, and they seal just as well. Also, the Elements are attached with Aluminum lock nuts from bargain fittings to prevent rust.
BK_1.JPG

BK_2.JPG

Here is the HLT. There is a fitting at towards the top you can see in the last photo. I used to use it to recirculate water through the coil when I initially heated the strike water. I no longer use it, but it shouldn't be a reason to ever fill it that high.
HLT_1.JPG

HLT_21.JPG

HLT_to_MLT.JPG

Not sure where you are in IN, but I'm interested. Could we meet halfway in OH somewhere, say Columbus? I've been lusting after a 1bbl system, but this would be a good transitional piece.

If it doesnt work out with Ricechex75, I am interested in the whole set up, and I would pay for shipping.

Latest posts

Back