racking onto raisins or cranberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divi2323

Reaction score
Picked up 2 lbs raisins and 2.5lbs dried sweetened cranberries. I've got 4 batches going at the moment. Two of them are straight up fresh pressed, the other two are ed worts modified (2 lbs brown sugar instead of dextrose)...

Would like to incorporate the fruit somehow. Looking for ideas. Maybe rack onto them in secondary and let them age on them?

Suggestions welcome from your experiences

Did this with 2 lbs dried sweet cranberries. My advice is to use a muslin bag and a fermentation bucket instead of a carboy. Very hard to rack off the fruit. Racking cane kept clogging. I would go low on target ABV say 5% then secondary for a couple of weeks with the berries stopping at 7% max. Mine ended up at 11% and tastes like sweet high test wine coolers. I'm making apfelwein now.

That's another difficulty I see. The added sugar in the cranberries, how would someone go about figuring how much gravity they would add. The label lists total sugar I guess, anyone know how many grams would increase a gallon of water in gravity in theory?

Back