This is probably a stupid question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yin_Yang

Reaction score
but i don't deal with these sort of parts on a daily basis, but for the universal 10 gallon cooler conversion project, what size hose do i get that fits with the 3/8" barb adapter?

Why are ppl using 3/8" components? I used all 1/2" on mine, the flow rates are alot higher... where did the 3/8" stuff come from? I thought 1/2" was standard.

Why are ppl using 3/8" components? I used all 1/2" on mine, the flow rates are alot higher... where did the 3/8" stuff come from? I thought 1/2" was standard.

A 3/8" hose barb on a 3/8" adapter is a standard fitting. I used the 3/8" hose on mine to throttle back the flow a little. My MLT drains out plenty fast enough, the extra 10 or so seconds it might take is not going to ruin my brew day.

Just checked flyguy's build thread and it calls for a 3/8" ball valve. Since his thread is pretty much the Holy Grail of MLT threads, I'd say that 3/8" is the standard.

Huh, when I built mine I started a thread with all 1/2" components, didn't realize that 3/8" was standard nowdays....

Here is the thread from my build, it was started 5 days prior to the one that FlyGuy started LOL

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/15-ball-valve-bulkhead-lowes-22595/

I would agree, unless you are using a pump and such, 3/8" tubing will suffice. If you ever go to a pump system, you will be amazed at how much more flow you get with 1/2" plumbing, it is nearly 2x as quick.

Back