Iodophor question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solidghost

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a bottle of Iodophor and I was wondering whether I can prepare the mixture first and whether it can keep? The instructions said to mix 1/4 capful with 500ml of water and spray on all the surface. I was thinking of preparing the mixture a week or so before the actual brew day. Will this mixture "turn bad"?

Thanks

As long as it's in a sealed container it should be fine but as said before if it's clear then it's not good. You can use it as long as it's still amber.

I have a spray bottle that I keep topped up under the sink. Since I use iodophor for both sanitizing my brewing equipment and my dog food containers (I feed my 3 dogs raw), I keep generally make a fresh 500ml batch every 4-5 days. Because it's so cheap and you don't need much for a batch I don't tend to keep it past that time. Why take a chance?

I wouldn't trust it a week in advance. I use it as I need it as it isn't that hard to make up.

I agree. This is the safest way to go. Mixing up a sanitizing solution right when you need it is one of the easiest parts of home brewing.

I agree, I've found it seems to keep for about a week. Sometimes it's hard to tell in plastic though, as it will stain it.

Wow. I won't use Iodophor after a couple of hours. I've never had it keep its color longer than that. As was stated, it's pretty easy to mix up. I asked my pharmacist for some droppers and she gave me a whole handful of them graduated to 1ml. Two shots in a litre of water and I'm good to go. It only takes a couple of seconds.

Back