Where to mount faucets on keezer collar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've built a keezer from a 7cu.ft. freezer and a 6" collar. The freezer has the normal compressor hump on the right side.

In the next week I'll receive 4 perlick faucets with 4" shanks. My question is: where to mount them?

It seems natural to mount them over the hump, as far right as possible, so they are out of the way of the 4 cornies that will be in there. But I've seen many keezers that have the faucets centered on the freezer.

Any thoughts on this kegging brothers & sisters? I'd like to avoid the stupid mistake when I start drilling.

:mug:

Having managed a 6 faucet keezer for a couple of years, "out of the way" seems preferable over the long haul. There's a good chance that folks that went with symmetry - and especially those with long shanks and a tight fitting keezer - regret it...

Cheers!

I went for the right down the center option for the 3 on mine. I also set it up such that if I wanted to add two more I could.

871d024c.jpg

I went for the right down the center option for the 3 on mine. I also set it up such that if I wanted to add two more I could.

Yea, I think that looks better. Any regrets? Do the shanks interfere when moving cornies in/out?

Since 4 cornies just barely fit in mine, I'm concerned that shanks will interfere big time.

Yea, I think that looks better. Any regrets? Do the shanks interfere when moving cornies in/out?

Since 4 cornies just barely fit in mine, I'm concerned that shanks will interfere big time.

It's tight. I don't regret it. But with my 10 inch collar I can get kegs on the hump if I want to put more than three in there if I ever go to 5 kegs, and I can use it now to crash cool a bucket or a carboy.

The thing I'm not sure about, is that at some point, probably before I would ever go two taps where I have those punch out, is a stout tap, probably around on the left side of the keezer (if you ever saw the Northern Brewer make a keezer vid on youtube, that's where they put there's.) That may make it harder to move things around it.

I mounted mine to the side so I could have a nice large 12" handle on the other side.

If you double-hinge your collar, they won't be in the way no matter where you put them. I did this and put my faucets (with 4 inch shanks) in the center. When I'm making small adjustments or checking on my precious kegs, I just pop the freezer lid up. When I'm moving kegs in or out, I lift the collar up too.

If you double-hinge your collar, they won't be in the way no matter where you put them. I did this and put my faucets (with 4 inch shanks) in the center. When I'm making small adjustments or checking on my precious kegs, I just pop the freezer lid up. When I'm moving kegs in or out, I lift the collar up too.

Oh, I see. That's an idea that hadn't occurred to me.

Thanks. I learned something new tonight.

I have a smaller (5 cu ft) freezer and for me to get four kegs in it, I had to put two of them on the hump. That meant that I had to mount the faucets on the side so the shanks didn't interfere with the kegs on the hump. If you think you may eventually want to put a couple of kegs on the hump you may want to put your taps on the side.

photo-10-8.jpg

photo-12-3.jpg

Edit: If I had it to do over, I wouldn't bother with the double hinges. I only open the top and never lift the entire collar.

I used silicon to glue the lid on. I built it this spring and its held up so far.
Sorry about the extra pics, it kept saying, app crashed photo not loaded...lol

If you think you may eventually want to put a couple of kegs on the hump you may want to put your taps on the side.

That's a good point.

I didn't make my collar tall enough to allow kegs on the hump. But, I get 4 on the floor and I thought that would be enough ( haha, I know). Besides, the hump has the CO2 tank and loose bottles.

BTW, I see you have wood medallions under the faucets. Did you do that to push the faucets out because of the wood lip below them?

Actually the tap handles hit the trim on the top. I had plenty or room below the facets. When I started to mount the faucets, I realized that the tap handles would hit the trim on the top, so I cut the spacers out of some left over oak. I eyeballed everything. I used a 1" hole saw so I had some play. I cut the holes for the shafts first, then lined up the trim grommet and traced the circle. I cut that out with a skill saw and then "fine tuned" them with my angle grinder with a sanding pad. None of it is precise, but I was able to line them up pretty well...

to keep my taps from sticking into the "walkway" I mounted them on the short side of the collar. My collar is also part of the lid so it all lifts out of the way. I stored the factory lid away and made my collar/lid all one piece using red oak. I insulated the inside with foam insulation. It was just a matter of what worked best for me. Also its 6" less to lift full kegs when te collar opens as well.

Back