Red and brown ale bad taste why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soubre

Reaction score
Kegged and carbed my brown and red ale day before yesterday and I just got done giving it a little taste..... Damn it's horrible... Bitter... Not as I expected . It's not fully carbed yet. Please tell me it will get better

it will get better!

Happy?

If you want help trying to figure out why it tastes bad, we could use some info like ingredients and fermentation temperature/length.

I mashed at 152 for 60 min and boiled for 60 min. I set my ibu for 19 . I had a very slow lagging fermentation so after waiting 48 hours with no sign I pitched some us05 and fermentation finally started. After 8 days at 58 degrees I let it warm up to 68 for 24 hours then crashed it at 40 for 2 weeks. This was an all grain and original yeast was wlp004 . All grain was fresh but yeast in the vail must not have been good . Thats when I pitch the us05. It's just very bland and bitter. Sorry I just panicked when I tasted it and thought I lost a batch

Give it time. I let my reds ferment for a month and bottle age for a month before drinking them. My current batch is not as malty as I'd like, but that's what I get for using two-row instead of Maris Otter.

You probably had something grow in the beer while your first vial was lagging. What is your FG ?

Dude, relax. All most all beers taste different when you first bottle/keg them. Depending on the beer it probably wont settle into it's final flavor for 3 weeks or more on CO2. Try it in 3 weeks and it will be a completely different beer.

I was reading an alternate thermometer which I found out at the end was wrong. My temp controller was set 62 but I kept reading the other temp meter and I kept turning the controller down to meet 62 which was really 58

I appreciate u helping out but this beer taste like coffee with no sugar and a hit of alcohol.

My favorite beer in my inventory right now happens to be a batch I almost chucked. my wife (who has no knowledge of homebrewing at all) suggested I sit on it to taste it in a month, if for no other reason, to learn something about the process of aging on a beer. Tried it a month later and fell in love with it.

I made the label for it shortly after brewing it, and called it 'straight-up gasoline'.

I'm drinking an IPA right now that I almost chucked a month ago. Put it in the keg and had all kinds of nasty flavors. Chloraphenols were the big ones, but it just flat out tasted bad. I have 10 gallons of it so I decided to ride it out. 3 weeks in the keg on Co2 now and it may be the best IPA I've ever made. Chloraphenol flavors are gone and it now tastes awesome.

Different grains and hops develop differently. Water profile has a lot to do with it too. Give it 3 weeks or more on gas before you form an opinion.

If you do decide to toss it save some in a few bottles to be tried a month or so later. You might be surprised. On the other hand, some flavors don't age out, so don't tie up your kegs forever.

I appreciate u helping out but this beer taste like coffee with no sugar and a hit of alcohol.

More info on the recipe you used would go a long way to determine if there is reason to keep the beer. I am guessing this one was the red, which I would expect to be low hop aroma/taste and more malt forward with roasted barley (for the red and the roasty character). If you overdid the roasted barley I can see it ending up tasting like bitter coffee :D How much did you use (if any)?

If I can remember right this is the recipe a schedule.
8# 2 row
1#oat flake
8oz special roast
8oz victory malt
northern brewer hops to 19 ibu according to Beersmith

mashed @ 152 for 60
used 5.2 ph
boiled hops for 60
15min remaining in the boil I added 1tsp irish moss

cooled down the 70 and pitched wlp011 yeast vail.
I bought the yeast about a mounth prior to this and no i didnt make a starter.
I waited about 60 hours and still didnt see anything so i pitched old faithful ( us05 )
within 6 hours it was going good.
I have a new temp controller on my fermenting chamber and an exterior thermometer to read to keep an eye on it.
I kept lowering the temp till the exterior thermometer read 62 which after finding out later was really about 54-57
I shoud have trusted the controller. I fermented it for 8 days till the bubbles stoped and did a d-rest for 24 hours @ 68
Then cold crashed it @40 for 2 weeks. Kegged and carbed it 3 days ago and here we are....

I hope i didnt leave anything out

If I can remember right this is the recipe a schedule.
8# 2 row
1#oat flake
8oz special roast
8oz victory malt
northern brewer hops to 19 ibu according to Beersmith

mashed @ 152 for 60
used 5.2 ph
boiled hops for 60
15min remaining in the boil I added 1tsp irish moss

cooled down the 70 and pitched wlp011 yeast vail.
I bought the yeast about a mounth prior to this and no i didnt make a starter.
I waited about 60 hours and still didnt see anything so i pitched old faithful ( us05 )
within 6 hours it was going good.
I have a new temp controller on my fermenting chamber and an exterior thermometer to read to keep an eye on it.
I kept lowering the temp till the exterior thermometer read 62 which after finding out later was really about 54-57
I shoud have trusted the controller. I fermented it for 8 days till the bubbles stoped and did a d-rest for 24 hours @ 68
Then cold crashed it @40 for 2 weeks. Kegged and carbed it 3 days ago and here we are....

I hope i didnt leave anything out

Can't see anything in that which would give you a super coffee flavour, unless the shop messed up and gave you roasted barley instead of special roast... could actually be the case :D
Don't worry though, just pour yourself a cuppa each morning before you go to work... should be gone in no time ;)

IMHO browns and reds come it 2 variations, those that are damn good and those that are gawd awful. I am trying to choke down what is left of my AHA "Bucksnort brown", I will NEVER brew that recipe again. I would say that I brewed it wrong but when the other club members are saying the same thing and we are doing side by sides...yea, that one was rough.

Reds are in this same group as well. I think that age is going to help your issues a LOT. I would try changing up my recipe for the next ones. FWIW I am planning to brew up my St. Pats day red and stout in a few weekends. So aging a red till St. Pats may be a good idea! ;)

Back