Subs for Carafa I, II and III

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mummasan

Reaction score
I know that Carafa Special I, II and III have had their husks removed.

I'd like to know if other homebrewers sub Carafa II for chocolate malt or carafa III for black patent. I think the lovibond ratings for Carafa II and chocolate malt are similar and black patent is a bit darker than Carafa III.

I'm not sure what I would do to sub for Carafa I - maybe toast special B or crystal 120 to get to 300L.

My LHBS doesn't carry the carafa and it is popping up in a bunch of recipes recently. It is a pain for me to order online (shipping to HI can be expensive) so I am looking for creative alternatives.

I've seen a malt called de-bittered black. That would be an ok sub.(might be basically the same things as I II or III) Otherwise no, there really is not. Chocolate wheat would probably be closer than black patent.

Isn't debittered just the equivalent of the carafa special malts? I thought debittered meant the husks are removed.

yes I think it is. I have not seen it in different colors like the carafa though, it's also probably by a different malster.

thanks for your replies z987k - I have a knack for threads that get little attention

Sinamar is also a wyermann product, and if he can't get carafa, I doubt he can get sinamar.

Back