Full boils on the stove top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honus

Reaction score
My wife and I have been doing partial boils (about 2.5-3 gallons) and would really like to step up to full boils, but we live in a condo and don't think it would be wise to put a banjo burner on our balcony.

Before I drop some serious money on a 7 gallon pot I wanted to find out if anyone has been successful doing a full 5 gallon boil on a gas stove top.

Thanks for the replies!

Our stove is gas, 4 burners with 9" (on center) between the front and back burners and only 17" between the burners and the microwave that's directly above it.

The stove is GE, but I think the canning element is for electric stoves. I did a quick search on "hotstick" but didn't find anything that seemed like it would apply - so what is it?

You can split the wort up into two separate but equal pots and calculate hop additions accordingly. I use two pots to get the wort to a boil and then transfer to my 32 quart pot. From there it takes just a few more minutes to get it back to rolling and I'm off. My stove is small, low grade and electric, but it works just fine.

You can split the wort up into two separate but equal pots and calculate hop additions accordingly. I use two pots to get the wort to a boil and then transfer to my 32 quart pot. From there it takes just a few more minutes to get it back to rolling and I'm off. My stove is small, low grade and electric, but it works just fine.

+1. I do all-grain this way, but started by doing split extract boils.

Awesome idea! :mug: I could get a 7+ gallon pot and do 1/2 in there and 1/2 in the pot I already have.

heat stick is basically a hot water heater element that is on the end of a piece of plastic pipe. I know this sounds crazy but if you use gfci outlet its safe. you can build one for about 50 bucks. I can boil 14 gallons in a keggle with a small 50000 btu burner with the help of a heatstick. Without the stick theres no chance. You can find a DIY build for these if you search brewing heat stick

I do full boils on my gas stove top all the time... Like someone said previously, just get a kettle that is wide enough to cover two of your burners and you should be golden... I've also found that using a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil as a partial lid (cover about 1/2 to 2/3 of top of kettle) will get a more rigorous boil. Patience is a must though, it can take a good 45 minutes or more to get to boil. My next project is going to be a DIY 1500w heatstick that I'll use to assist and hopefully dramatically speed up the boiling process.

Back