Perry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pintocb

Reaction score
I found some 100% organic pear juice at my Kroger recently, so I decided to make a perry, something I've wanted to do for a long time. I basically followed Ed's Apfelwein recipe except I used Nottingham yeast in hopes of a lower attenuation and more pear flavor. SG was 1.072, which seemed a bit high, but will hopefully still be light and drinkable.

Long intro. How many of you guys have done a perry?

Suggestions for improving the recipe?

Thanks!

Cb

Oh, and the coolest part of all, the juice was in 1qt jars and were about five bucks per. I caught it on a buy one get one free day. w00t!!

Never done a perry, but 10% give or take should certainly kick you right back into the seat a bit.

After aging 6 months I added sugar and bottled today. The sweetness is just beginning to show. I could probably have aged this another 6 months and it would be better. If it turns out the way I hope I may buy a new 5 gallon carboy and put some on a shelf for a year to see.

jeez looks like im gunna have to work on my patience in this hobby.

true that. Its really hard sometimes to wait stuff out...but worth it in the end...I try to have a couple things in different stages of brewing to keep my mind off the one that is just sitting waiting to be ready ;)

I have trouble with the patience end as well. What really got me was thinking it might be ruined after four months and noticing the airlock was really low and letting air into the carboy. I put more water in it and waited it out and it seems fine. I'm much better at being patient with it in a carboy than when bottled, so I don't think this'll make it to the one year mark.

ZOMBIE POST

I know I am bringing this back from the dead, but if you are still around, how did it go? My wife's new found love is perry and I want to make her a batch, but I know it will be expensive and take time. I don't want to invest in $30 of pear juice if it is just 'meh'

tokerlund said:
ZOMBIE POST

I know I am bringing this back from the dead, but if you are still around, how did it go? My wife's new found love is perry and I want to make her a batch, but I know it will be expensive and take time. I don't want to invest in $30 of pear juice if it is just 'meh'

I loved the two perries I did.... I wish you luck, it really tastey

I also always wanted to make some perry but I don't really know how real Perry is supposed to taste. Never had one when I lived in the UK for some time.
I bought some imported Perry today which is dry but does not have a lot of taste. On top of that it states on the can that it is made with fermented perry juice, carbonated water and cane sugar. Is this really a perry recipe? I cannot imagine they mix it with water and sugar.
Anyhow I wanted to try some smaller batches based on Ed's Apfelwein recipe which I love so far.
Have a few more people played around with Ed's recipe and used pear juice instead of apple juice?

Thanks
Stefan

Back