Really, Midwest Supplies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The yeast should have made the trip.

Think of it this way, when the yeast is in the frementor it will live for weeks at room temps. It does have more food to eat at this time, but it still is at room temps or temps from 62 to 74 they make it.

+1 to the above, I have always found Midwest to top notch and their customer service is always spot on, your slam is un-justified

I have ordered yeast from midwest many times without a cold pack and it has never failed to start. Make a starter to be sure and call them if there is a problem.

1) The yeast did survive. It would take very hot conditions to kill the yeast.
2) Midwest Supplies DOES know how yeast works.

Right on the yeast page:

CATEGORY FAQ'S
How long will it take for my ale to ferment?
3 days and no activity in my beer?
What are the ideal fermentation temperatures for ales and lagers?
Does the Wyeast package need to be fully swollen before pitching?
The Wyeast Activator Pack is activated and swollen
Information on Yeast Upgrades: What's the difference between dry and liquid yeast?
I had my yeast shipped to my house, will it be ok?
What is attenuation?
Midwest Yeast Shipping Info:
What are my liquid yeast size options?
Search the FAQ Library
NEWSLETTER

You seriously overreacted. The yeast was fine. Even if it gets really hot you can usually make a starter and go.

Then you slam the vendor without even calling them with your issue.

Poor etiquette!

You sure YOU know how yeast work?

They actually like being at room temp. We keep them cooler so they do what we want, but yeast survive for months at room temp, much less three days in shipping. Might wanna rethink this thread.

So you threw the yeast away without even finding out if it was ok? I would have at least made a starter with it.

Some people like to jump to conclusions....
I've used yeast that was sitting in my buddies garage for 3weeks and was still fine...(he forgot that the yeast camr with this kit)...
Igotsand

I used the yeast packet in a 2 year old Cooper's can in a small starter & it worked fine. They're def tough lil critters! I too have always gotten great promt service from Midwest. They're good with all manner of questions too.

I'm sure the yeast were fine. You should have at least given them a chance. I hope you didn't send an embarrassing email to Midwest to go with this post :tank:

those cold packs are useless. they don't magically lower the temperature of all things around them. they are a thermal buffer, though. which means they'll also keep your yeast piping hot once they've warmed up.

purchasing yeast online in the summer months is problematic and should be avoided unless the transit time is very short. but even then, delivery trucks and warehouses heat up to over 100F.

You threw it away?!? If you LHBS carries you yeast then why would you mail order it? Cost can't be a concern since you threw it away and bought more. Midwest has been a great supplier so far for me. Then again, I read the information before clicking the order button.

A couple of things..

I did go back and look for a cold shipping option, because I figured I made a mistake. I didn't see one while going through the process a second time. If they offer a cold shipping option, it wasn't obvious to me at the time. I've gone through it three times before making the comment to verify I'm it blind or an idiot, and there wasn't any indication of an option to ship in a cold pack container. A simple checkbox at checkout in the shipping tab that says, "cold shipping option" or something like that would be nice. Absent that, I would have thought that they would have taken steps to ensure safe travel in the back of a 130degree shipping truck.

Secondly, I trashed it but my wife saved it and put it in the fridge, and said I should try to use it anyway. I probably will attempt a starter mid week for next weekends session.

Oh well.

Yeah it's that old live and learn thing. Personally I prefer dry yeast, totally takes the worry out of shipping, cheaper than liquid, stores easily, and so far (10 months), haven't had a batch that hasn't started well, and been good result. But of course that is just my personal preference.

You threw it away?!? If you LHBS carries you yeast then why would you mail order it? Cost can't be a concern since you threw it away and bought more. Midwest has been a great supplier so far for me. Then again, I read the information before clicking the order button.

THe only reason why i didn't go to the guy in the first place is because he often doesn't have what I need. I'm trying to learn how this stuff works, and in five months of brewing and reading books, etc., the most obvious thing I've learned about this process is that it's a lot about the elimination of variables, so when I have a recipe to try, the last thing I want to do is show up and discover he doesn't have the yeast or the hops i specified, or he might have it this week and not next week etc.

those cold packs are useless. they don't magically lower the temperature of all things around them. they are a thermal buffer, though. which means they'll also keep your yeast piping hot once they've warmed up.

purchasing yeast online in the summer months is problematic and should be avoided unless the transit time is very short. but even then, delivery trucks and warehouses heat up to over 100F.

This doesn't make much sense to me...I do order yeast from a supplier very close to me when I need Wyeast (my LHBS has switched exclusively to White Labs...); still, when I get the box, it is palpably cool or even cold because of the ice pack included inside...

Perhaps what you say is true if the transit time outstrips the effective life of the ice pack, but for reasonable shipping distances, the ice packs do indeed keep the yeast cold.

THe only reason why i didn't go to the guy in the first place is because he often doesn't have what I need. I'm trying to learn how this stuff works, and in five months of brewing and reading books, etc., the most obvious thing I've learned about this process is that it's a lot about the elimination of variables, so when I have a recipe to try, the last thing I want to do is show up and discover he doesn't have the yeast or the hops i specified, or he might have it this week and not next week etc.

I mail order a lot of stuff myself because our "LHBS" is in Wisconsin, and it's a deli/gas station/bait shop (if you've ever been to WI you know exactly what I mean) that has a few bags of specialty grains and ancient yeast. She will order big sacks of grain for me, but otherwise the selection is mighty slim.

I normally try to not order yeast in the dead of winter (I'm afraid it'll be left on my porch to freeze!) and I don't usually order it mid-summer, but otherwise I've never had an issue.

I it's a deli/gas station/bait shop.

Nice a sandwhich, fuel for the boat, live bait and homebrew stuff, I'd never leave. LOL

and FYI for everyone that has refered to Yooper like "Good on you man" like in post four. I am pretty sure Yooper is female. :drunk:

Gear101 said:
Nice a sandwhich, fuel for the boat, live bait and homebrew stuff, I'd never leave. LOL

and FYI for everyone that has refered to Yooper like "Good on you man" like in post four. I am pretty sure Yooper is female. :drunk:

Lol oops. It's more a saying that is not gender specific where we are....Now I can associate your profile pic with her ! XD

When you buy yeast on midwest it's right there on the yeast page under configure your product. I tried to add a smack-pack to my cart and it MADE me choose my options first..not sure what the difficulty is. I've had good luck with this company the handful of times I've used them.

Dont they ship those icepack/yeast in small insulated packages also to keep them cool as well? I think i need to get my hops sent with those because i swear they went south partially due to a 7 day warm voyage and have read they lose a certain "percentage" being at room temp.That and ive gotten the previous years harvest which didnt help.:mad: Even requesting the current season harvest. Im not talking about Midwests hops though. Ive had a good amount of "stable hops" as well+great ipa's.Some hops just didnt hold up either from the freezer "age" or shipping.

When you buy yeast on midwest it's right there on the yeast page under configure your product. I tried to add a smack-pack to my cart and it MADE me choose my options first..not sure what the difficulty is. I've had good luck with this company the handful of times I've used them.

I guess that's my point--It wasn't the four times I tried it---once when I bought yeast, and three more times just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

All the other times I've ever had to order anything refrigerated--steaks, medicine, seafood, they either (A) provide an option in the shipping instructions, or (B) automatically ship refrigerated items with cold storage packaging.

I guess after looking at the full page of all the beer yeast available, I DID fish out the ice bag option within the items. I don't think I'm out of line in saying that that's a cock-eyed way of doing it. But whatever. I'll still be buying products from Midwest, I just think MS could do a better job of offering protection for their shipments.

It would have been cool to see if they started..

well, like I said, the wife grabbed the vial and put it in the fridge, thinking it was mistakenly put with the packaging stuff I was planning on taking out to the trash. I've got it in the fridge, and won't have a chance to brew for another few days or so.

Honestly they are one of the few companies that read my notes in the comments section when I have special requests in my order. So I can't *****. Midwest actually came to the rescue for wine kits as my buddies at NB were fresh out and my LHBS loves to charge me tons of $$$ forkits... justwish I knew a good place for cheeky monkey wine kits.

I have to give a positive +1 to Midwest. They have been great and answered all of the dumb questions I had.

Only complaint I could see for them is their mobile site is kinda wonky on the iPad...

You should thank your wife for taking the yeast outta the trash....
Just make a starter and you'll be good!
Happy brewing!
Igotsand

Typed "yeast" in the product search box.
Then clicked on the cold shipping options.
:cross:

coldship.jpg

coldship2.jpg

You don't even need to go to cold shipping specifically. It's on every single liquid yeast page as an option.

midwest.jpg

Think about what you want to say.....wait for a while.....type it and reread it...then delete it. Most times if its a complaint , then its something you should just forget about. Look for my thread about a 1500 dollar water bill.

Back