cloning Southern Tier Mokah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vitoma

Reaction score
I'd like to do an all grain clone of Southern Tier Mokah. I've searched the intertubes a bit for a clone recipe that has already been formulated, but I couldn't find anything of the sort.

I would also like to add the disclaimer that I've never really delved into the realm of recipe formulation.

I honestly don't really know where to begin formulating a recipe for this.

On the bottle, it lists the following information:
11% ABV
27 Plato
2-row barley
caramel malt
chocolate malt
black malt
barley flakes
Jamaican roasted coffee
bittersweet Belgian chocolate
kettle hops: columbus & chinook

The bottle also says that it is a combination of their Jahva and Choklat beers. Though how much of each and when they are combined isn't hinted at.

Can anyone give me some help with where to go to make this delicious brew? Has anyone had any success at cloning this beer themselves?

I thought I had heard that Mokah is a 50/50 blend of Jahva and Choklat, though I cannot verify that.

In brewing a clone I personally may rely on some chocolate extract in addition to the bittersweet Belgian. With as chocolaty as Choklat is, I am honestly surprised that they do not use extract. I talked with the brewer at a local brew pub recently regarding their chocolate beer. They use extract as that is the best way to ensure consistency in flavor. Maybe brew with the chocolate and add extract at bottling as needed? Either way it is a tasty beer, good luck.

Back