Vanilla Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B'sPointPlacePorter

Reaction score
I had a vanilla porter at Old Chicago a while back. It from a company in Michigan, but I cannot remember the name. I fell in love with it. Does any one have or made a recipe for a vanilla porter using extracts?

Cheers

Stoney Creek is no longer around in Michigan. It's called Atwater Brewery now. I'm not sure if they do a Vanilla Porter or not. Here is a simple way to vanilla up your porter though. Find a good porter recipe and get a vanilla bean. Split it down the middle and soak it in a very little neutral alchohol to extract the flavor more. Put that bean and the created natural extract in the secondary and let that set for two weeks.

+1 for adding a vanilla bean to an already good porter.

Keep in mind that vanilla beans fall into the really freaking strong category, so half of one might be enough. (You can use the other half to stick in an jar of sugar and get some pretty excellent/tasty vanilla sugar for your trouble.

Back