Does this look normal (2)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curt480

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I figure I'm good for at least (5) Does this look normal threads pertaining to my initial 5 batches. A few weeks back I was concerned my first batch had no activity and now with my 2nd batch (Kolsch) I am having some ridiculous activity and need confirmation this is normal. Couple questions:

1) I used WLP029 Liquid Vial yeast for Kolsch Ale and this stuff is boss. Far more potent than the cheap bagged yeast provided in my previous kit (I upgraded). Is this normal activity for kolsch brew, or is the yeast the reason I'm seeing so much activity?

Your feedback is appreciated. I keep coming up with new stuff and this is batch #2 to so go easy :p:mug::tank:

Also on a side note, I had to provide my inaugural bottling of batch #1 photo. Pretty pumped t-minus 2 weeks.

BEER1.jpg

photo.JPG

That would be krausen, my friend. Perfectly normal. Your last batch probably had it too, but you may not have looked before it settled back in.

NO!!! It's not normal! Get out of the house NOW!

Oh wait, it's just Krausen. Carry on chaps.

Now... keep that fermenter closed! :) :slaps gr8shandini on the hand:

I just recently started primary fermenting in my 6.5 gallon better bottle, you get a front row seat to the party/yeast orgy. And... you don't have to open the lid to "see what's going on" :)

Nope that's not normal. Blue caps? You'll want to wrap those up and send them to me right away. The other pic, that one looks just fine.

hansen_sh said:
Nope that's not normal. Blue caps? You'll want to wrap those up and send them to me right away. The other pic, that one looks just fine.

Lol that's funny

jmtwo said:
NO!!! It's not normal! Get out of the house NOW!

Oh wait, it's just Krausen. Carry on chaps.

I figured I'd get a response like this Ty! Lol glad everything is a ok

Keep the lid on that thang! The natural Co2 occupying the headspace is your friend. Don't waste it.

Very important point :cool:

After being a homebrewer for about a year and a half, I'm still learning new things about the process... like Co2 'blanketing' the beer.

Oh man, I haven't brewed since July 29th and I'm starting to get the shakes :eek:

Those blue caps look awesome.
I'd say you're doing just fine. now shut the lid and be patient.

Everything is fine. WLP029 is one of my favorite strains. It has best results though at a lower temp, closer to 65-68degF. And liquid yeast generally begins to work quicker than dry yeast (unless you've rehydrated). :mug:

A thing of beauty.

A joy to behold!

A wonder of creation!

One of Gods gifts to man.

The end results produce both joy and exhilaration.

Here end-ith the lesson.

Can I get a withness!

DPB

Latest posts

Back