Reading "Designing Great Beers", and had question about Wyeast yeasts...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutchemist42

Reaction score
They said that there is not enough cells even with the starter smack pack inside to properly innoculate a typical 5 gallon, 5% beer. Is this true?

Some say so. Define "enough". Most agree that up to about 1.055 - 1.060 you're fine. Some believe it's woefully inadequate.

Hello, fellow Winnipegger.

The "smack packs" have about 100 billion cells.

Mr. Malty says you need 180 billion cells for 5.25 gallons of a 1.050 ale.

The answer is: a smack-pack probably contains enough yeast to get the job done, especially if it was produced recently and you have a relatively small beer. However, if the pack is a bit old, or if you have a bigger beer, you should make a starter. Thousands of brewers probably use no starter and feel like their beer is fine.

Personally, I would never pitch a smack-pack with no starter.

Wyeast have two products an Activator and a Propagator. According to Wyeast the Activator is sufficient to inoculate a 5 gallon batch and the Propagator is not and needs a starter. Both have "smack pack" nutrients inside. I have used both with excellent success. I make 1.5 quarts of wort for both kinds. Some will say the Activator really does not need one some say all of them need a starter. I make starters, is easy and fast and fun

Hello, fellow Winnipegger.

The "smack packs" have about 100 billion cells.

Mr. Malty says you need 180 billion cells for 5.25 gallons of a 1.050 ale.

The answer is: a smack-pack probably contains enough yeast to get the job done, especially if it was produced recently and you have a relatively small beer. However, if the pack is a bit old, or if you have a bigger beer, you should make a starter. Thousands of brewers probably use no starter and feel like their beer is fine.

Personally, I would never pitch a smack-pack with no starter.

Just curious then, how does a starter increase the capability of yeast? Like will a starter take a smack packed Wyeast pack and increase the year past 100 billion?

Just curious then, how does a starter increase the capability of yeast? Like will a starter take a smack packed Wyeast pack and increase the yeast past 100 billion?

That's exactly what a starter does. If you are a really new brewer consider dry yeast to make things easy for your first few batches.

That's exactly what a starter does. If you are a really new brewer consider dry yeast to make things easy for your first few batches.

Dry yeast is your best friend right now.

But you can even get a little saucy and make a mini-starter for the dry stuff, so you get a feel for larger ones with liquid yeast. At the very least you'll confirm that your dry yeast is alive, and you won't get those "did I pitch dead yeast" thoughts running through your head when your wort doesn't start fermenting right away.

I've actually been brewing for about 2 years but after reading this book, started thinking about my yeast. So how many billion yeast cells are created with a starter?

He's talking about 'great' beer. You can make regular beer without a starter. Great beer takes the proper amount of healthy yeast and good temperature control.

Making a starter with dry yeast will do more harm than good. They are dried with all the nutrients they need. Making a starter will use some up and it wont be big enough to increase the numbers. The only starter I'd make with dry yeast is five gallons.

Wyeast have two products an Activator and a Propagator. According to Wyeast the Activator is sufficient to inoculate a 5 gallon batch and the Propagator is not and needs a starter. Both have "smack pack" nutrients inside. I have used both with excellent success. I make 1.5 quarts of wort for both kinds. Some will say the Activator really does not need one some say all of them need a starter. I make starters, is easy and fast and fun

Propagators don't exist anymore btw.

Anything over 1.050 I'm using 2 packs worth or the appropriate level starter. Pitching 1 million cells per ml of wort per degree plato is a good rule of thumb.

Anything over 1.050 I'm using 2 packs worth or the appropriate level starter. Pitching 1 million cells per ml of wort per degree plato is a good rule of thumb.

2 packs?!! Man I find liquid yeast to be, well, a huge ripoff. I've started washing it when I use it, but have also been trying to stick to recipes that are dry-yeast friendly. Even $2 or so for the dry stuff seems like a ripoff to me. And believe me, I'm no cheap bastard.

I just hate constantly buying stuff that I can either reuse, or make more of for free via a starter. Although it is fun to smack those things...

It seems to me like a small price to pay to turn your sugar water into good beer. They yeast are doing the lion's share of that work!

Right, but it's still just yeast. Just something doing a chemical reaction/enzyme conversion/whatever you want to call it. There are about a billion different organisms and chemicals that do this to other things on this planet. Yeast is nothing special.

Anyhow - it's simple enough to wash yeast and save it for later, so it's all good.:cross:

It comes down to money vs time for most people, if I had time to brew more often I'd wash yeast to save money. Since I only get to brew at best once every other month, it's important that my investment in time pays off.
I don't have a great place to do lab work, and my OCD biologist tendencies keep me from storing frozen slants etc.

2 packs?!! Man I find liquid yeast to be, well, a huge ripoff. I've started washing it when I use it, but have also been trying to stick to recipes that are dry-yeast friendly. Even $2 or so for the dry stuff seems like a ripoff to me. And believe me, I'm no cheap bastard.

I just hate constantly buying stuff that I can either reuse, or make more of for free via a starter. Although it is fun to smack those things...

I've started to top crop US-05 (with some success) and I've stopped using liquid strains that aren't either top cropping friendly or that need gelatin to clear (gelatin messes with yeats washing).

Back