Your thoughts on dry hopping times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medo

Reaction score
Ahoy hoy,
Forgive me if this has been beaten to death, but the search engine on our site here seems to think the words dry and hop are too small and common to search for, and hopping has 500 + posts in no particular order of relevence. So, I ask this question.
Is there any standard for deciding how long to dry hop? Recipes call for 1-14 days after adding the hops, some folks dry hop daily. But nothing real consistant. Is this one of those "its a method, and methods are like opinions, everyone has one and they vary greatly" things, or are there any standard guidelines Ive just never noticed. Again, if this is a worn out topic, forgive me, but curiosity is getting the better of me.
Thanks to any and all input, good bad or indifferent..
I bid you all a great day

When I dry hop, I just dump pellets in the carboy. They take several days (usually more than 7, but less than 14) to sink to the bottom. As I wait until they have fallen before kegging/bottling, and try to restrict my brewing activities to the weekends, this means that I usually dry hop for about 14 days which works really well for me.
I realize that there are plenty of other ways to do it, but I'm not going to try to fix something that ain't broke.

-a.

Greetings,
No particular beer. I brew alot of IIPAs which I like to dry hop. I wondered if anyone would have different times for different beers....interesting.
Let the discussion proceed, and thanks folks
I bid you all a great night.

I've always added all my dry hops at once and left them in for 14 days. However, I recently listened to a The Brewing Network podcast recording of Vinnie Cilurzo of Russian River Brewing Company discussing his hopping techniques for Pliny the Elder and Pliny the Younger. He talks about using multiple additions for shorter lengths of time. I consider him to be a master of dry hopping, so listening to it might give you some new ideas.

The Brewing Network.com - The Sunday Session: The Sunday Session 06-26-05 First Russian River Appearance

The Brewing Network podcast recording of Vinnie Cilurzo of Russian River Brewing Company discussing his hopping techniques . . . about using multiple additions for shorter lengths of time.
Decoctions, long boils, continuous hopping and now multiple short length dry hopping. Is there anything else I can do make this hobby more time consuming?

:cross:

Back on topic, I also use the "toss in pellets / let them sink / ~14 day" method.

Greetings,
No particular beer. I brew alot of IIPAs which I like to dry hop. I wondered if anyone would have different times for different beers....interesting.
Let the discussion proceed, and thanks folks
I bid you all a great night.
Checking out your signature...Sean Thornton, etc....

I've been to Cong, Ireland where the Quiet Man was filmed.

Pat Cohen's was never a bar. It used to be a grocery store, but since the movie it only sells souveniors from the film (not very neat (tidy) inside either).

P8290603.jpg

If dry hopping in the keg, I do whole or plug, in a nylon bag (could use tea ball).

Dry hopping in a carboy, I've read and have experienced that around the 14 day mark you won't get any more aroma out of those hops, but it's not going to hurt it any with them still in there. I dry hop in carboys at least 14 days, then keg when I get a chance.

I dryhop in the keg and I leave em in there until the keg kicks out anywhere between 3 weeks and 3 months.

Dry hopping in a carboy, I've read and have experienced that around the 14 day mark you won't get any more aroma out of those hops, but it's not going to hurt it any with them still in there.

So I take it by these posts that if you dry hop for a longer time or just leave them in the keg until its gone, you dont have to be concerned about "over" dry hopping. It isnt going to get overbearing the longer they sit in there ?

I made an ESB/English Pale (not sure exactly) as the light beer from a partigyle and was thinking of dry hopping with Goldings. 1 oz? 2oz? In a secondary or just toss em in the keg ?

Back