storing fresh hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avm221

Reaction score
Ok im going to start picking my hops but Im not sure if I should freeze them or dry them. Or bag them and put them in my kegarator its at 40F

Dry them first. I have used my screen door laid horizontally (and clean) in the garage for a few days. One dry, store in vacuum sealed bag and store in the freezer until ready to use.

I use a foodsaver vacuum sealer. Works great!

There are other methods, but this works great for me.

Definitely dry them before storing. If not done, you may get mold which would render them useless.

Also, side note... It seems a little early to harvest. Are they really ready? Lots of yellow pollen and feel sort of dry?

Ill check again I have some full cones, I just don't want to leave them on vine to long

Good deal. You want to wait long enough so that they feel sort of papers, and not damp at all. I usually wait unit mid-late August. And I have cones now. Lots of good info here on this too. I would suggest to check out the hop growing section in the forum. Love this forum.

Good deal. You want to wait long enough so that they feel sort of papers, and not damp at all. I usually wait unit mid-late August. And I have cones now. Lots of good info here on this too. I would suggest to check out the hop growing section in the forum. Love this forum.

It depends on the type of hops and the weather. I think a lot of people are seeing early harvests. My Centennial are almost ready for picking, but they tend to mature earlier than other types.

I centennial and US goldings. The centennial is the one that is producing the most

Back