How to get logos off glasses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VicariousCynic

Reaction score
I have a pint glass that has a nice Oregon logo on one side, a Bud Light logo on the other. I've tried scraping the logo and painting it with starsan - neither had an observable effect.

Any suggestions on how to turn this glass from an embarrassing spatula holder into a vessel for the celebratory consumption of beer?

image-1705601720.jpg

I've had the same problem when trying to remove the labels from corona bottles for my ciders. They seem to be etched into the glass. I'm curious to seee if anyone else has any suggestions.

would it work to scrape it off with a razor blade? I have done that to printed label bottles. It makes a mess but if the razor blade is sharp it doesn't damage the glass.

Pick up some swimming pool acid at HD (sulfuric acid) and soak the bottles/glass for 24 hours. Works like a charm on Corona bottles!. BUT BE VERY CAREFUL! IF YOU WANT TO DILUTE THE ACID WITH WATER ADD THE ACID TO THE WATER, OTHERWISE IT MAY EXPLODE IN YOUR FACE! Please, just be careful with acid!

There is a powerful solvent called Oops. I've had luck with it in the past. Permanent markers are no match for it. Unfortunately, neither was the powder-coat to which the marker stains were adhered.

I have never tried this on a glass but, I know Easy-Off (the oven cleaner, not the as seen on tv crap with the terrible infomercial) takes lettering off of vehicles without damaging the clear coat. You just spray it on and apply a little heat. A blow dryer works a heat gun is better. After a few mins the lettering just wipes away. Its safer than acid too. PS I lived in Portland for a few years before my work moved me to Maine. My wife and I miss Oregon and would love to get back. Go Ducks!

Swimming pool acid is 35% hydrochloric I would never put sulfuric in my pool.

But to the point; why bother? Pint glasses are cheaper than dirt.

Pick up some swimming pool acid at HD (sulfuric acid) and soak the bottles/glass for 24 hours. Works like a charm on Corona bottles!. BUT BE VERY CAREFUL! IF YOU WANT TO DILUTE THE ACID WITH WATER ADD THE ACID TO THE WATER, OTHERWISE IT MAY EXPLODE IN YOUR FACE! Please, just be careful with acid!

I think that the OP wants to keep the Oregon logo and ditch the BudLight logo... otherwise this would probably work. But yeah if you want a blank pint glass its just easier to buy one

I've had good luck removing some logos by scrubbing with a paste of barkeepers friend. It's worth a shot, since BKF is cheap and easily available and you'll find a ton of other uses for it.

Old thread, I know, but still very useful information. I bought a nice glencairn glass at Goodwill for $0.50, but it had lettering printed on it that I wanted to remove. A 20-minute soak in acetone did absolutely nothing. Based on information here, I decided to try acid. I used some old Zap bathroom cleaner (phosphoric acid) that worked great. After soaking it for a few minutes, I used a toothpick to easily scrape off the lettering. Another wipe with a bit more Zap and it looks as good as new. So use acid to remove lettering on glasses. I would bet a long soak in Coca Cola would probably work as well since it contains phosphoric acid. Vinegar might work, but I haven't tried it. (Edit: According to this page, vinegar does work.)

Last edited:
When I used to bottle, there were some that I just couldn't remove. I tried muriatic acid, every solvent on my paint shelf, soaking overnight in stuff, etc. IIRC, stone bottles were in the list of ones I couldn't remove. After swallowing my pride (and wasting a TON of time and effort on a spent beer bottle), I tossed them.

If glasses use the same type of printing, yer screwed :)

Latest posts

Back