Reducing wort and caramelizing sugars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavyKettleBrewing

Reaction score
I'm thinking outside the box this weekend. I am looking to try something new. I am brewing an AG porter tomorrow. I will be adding roasted malts in the last fifteen minutes of the mash. I am hoping to impart more coffee and chocolate notes and less betterness by mashing roasted malts late.

My main question is this, IF I were to collect one gallon of wort from the first runnings and begin to boil it down to concentrate and caramelize the sugars, what flavor do you think this will impart into the finished product? I understand the color will be darker but that is moot being that it is a robust porter.

Like I said, just experimenting with flavors without adding anything more than water, barley, hops and yeast.

Cheers

This technique is very common with Scottish ales. I would do some reading on brewing those and you may find what you are looking for. I have never done it, but I have read that it lends a buttery, toffee, butterscotch flavor. I suppose this would vary greatly on the wort composition though.

I had read up on the subject and thought I might try it on an English Porter. I got the idea from a podcast, can't say which as I have seen and heard so many. I just wonder what flavor the roasted malts might add to it when boiled down. I guess I will have to wait six weeks.

Thanks for the reply. From your profile, I see you mill metal in addition to barley. Making a camber bar for a customer today. I better get back to it!

I use that method on every batch, but only on the third runnings, mostly to reduce the volume and speed up boil time. I have never tasted the third runnings before and after the reduction so I can't say if it imparts any flavor contribution. Since you're thinking outside the box and want to experiment, you could try a Pseudo-decoction where you mash a few pounds of base malt in .75 qts/lb. then put that in a covered pot and place the pot in a large pressure canner (with about 2 qts water in the bottom of the canner to make the steam) for 1 hour at full pressure. The mash gets darker and tastes much better. Then that mash is remashed with more base malt. The flavor contribution is very noticeable. MachineShopBrewer suggested buttery, toffee, butterscotch, which is probably the closest description. More flavorful malts like Pale Ale, Vienna, Munich impart the best flavor. I've done this several times, makes for a long brew day but is worth it. Have fun.:mug:

I use that method on every batch, but only on the third runnings, mostly to reduce the volume and speed up boil time. I have never tasted the third runnings before and after the reduction so I can't say if it imparts any flavor contribution. Since you're thinking outside the box and want to experiment, you could try a Pseudo-decoction where you mash a few pounds of base malt in .75 qts/lb. then put that in a covered pot and place the pot in a large pressure canner (with about 2 qts water in the bottom of the canner to make the steam) for 1 hour at full pressure. The mash gets darker and tastes much better. Then that mash is remashed with more base malt. The flavor contribution is very noticeable. MachineShopBrewer suggested buttery, toffee, butterscotch, which is probably the closest description. More flavorful malts like Pale Ale, Vienna, Munich impart the best flavor. I've done this several times, makes for a long brew day but is worth it. Have fun.:mug:

I need more equipment for the process you mentioned. I love equipment. I wonder if should try your suggestion on a lager recipe. I love new ideas. This weekend, I'll just be reducing about a gallon of the first running. I am planning to bottle a sixer for some upcoming competition.

I used this method on a Vienna lager that I bottled last weekend, tasted great, but can't enjoy for a couple more months. The flavor may not be as noticeable in a porter, I'll have to try. Good luck in the competition!:mug:

I used this meathod on a Vienna lager that I bottled last weekend, tasted great, but can't enjoy for a couple more months. The flavor may not be as noticeable in a porter, I'll have to try. Good luck in the competition!:mug:

Yeah, patience is key with a lager. As long as you have a steady pipeline, time will pass more quickly. I'll try and update the thread in six weeks when I taste a sample.

maddad, I forgot to ask about your reduction quantity. 1gal. down to what?:confused:

I saw the suggestion in another thread of boiling 1 gal. down to 1 qt.
I may try this myself. :mug:

I'm thinking outside the box this weekend. I am looking to try something new. I am brewing an AG porter tomorrow. I will be adding roasted malts in the last fifteen minutes of the mash. I am hoping to impart more coffee and chocolate notes and less betterness by mashing roasted malts late.

My main question is this, IF I were to collect one gallon of wort from the first runnings and begin to boil it down to concentrate and caramelize the sugars, what flavor do you think this will impart into the finished product? I understand the color will be darker but that is moot being that it is a robust porter.

Like I said, just experimenting with flavors without adding anything more than water, barley, hops and yeast.

Cheers

There's a Skotrat Traquair House Ale clone recipe floating around on the internets that uses the technique. Tastes great, it imparts the flavors mentioned above, very malt-caramelish flavor.

Brew day went very well. I was only able to collect 3 qts due to my saucepan not being big enough. You know what they say about the size of one's saucepan. I was able to reduce down to 1qt. It took one hour. In the meantime, I batch sparged and started my boil. I added the condensed wort 15min before flameout along with my last hop addition. The sampling of condensed wort tasted more like a caramel than butterscotch. Might have something to do with the grain bill. I am excited to sample this in six weeks. I hope it ages well as My intention was to bottle for local comp in June.

pdxal, I will check out the recipe. Considering a scotch ale for my next attempt in this technique.

Back