I think I made a big oops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DReimerMT

Reaction score
Today I went to the brew shop and bought what I thought was priming sugar. I went through my whole bottling procedure. When I was cleaning up I saw the package said matlodextrin. Will my beer carbonate or am I out of luck?

Dextrose is corn sugar.

Malto Dextrin is not fermentable and used to add body. It likely won't Carb your bottles.

Maltodextrine is only about 30% fermentable. You will get some carbonation, but not much. I would give it a couple weeks so what IS fermentable does it's thing, then get some priming tabs and re-prime each bottle and re-cap. BUT you need to wait to make sure anything fementable in the MD ferments out first, or you will have bottle bomb.

If you just bottled them, why not run to the store and buy some table sugar? You'd have to re-open the bottles and prime them individually, just like a Mr. Beer kit...

Yet another EDIT: Revvy is right.

Maltodextrine is only about 30% fermentable. You will get some carbonation, but not much. I would give it a couple weeks so what IS fermentable does it's thing, then get some priming tabs and re-prime each bottle and re-cap. BUT you need to wait to make sure anything fementable in the MD ferments out first, or you will have bottle bomb.

Thank you, the sick feeling in my stomach has disappeared.

Edit: I think it is time for a keg system.

Just use table sugar next time, no need to waste money on dextrose or make a special trip. You do use less sucrose compared to dextrose, so consult a priming calculator.

Latest posts

Back