Methanol in wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shahab

Reaction score
I am very sorry if this question is extremely common but i could not find my answer any where yet.
I want to make wine at home and i do not have any access to wine yeast because it is illegal in my country.
So i want to know when is poisonous level of methanol produced in wine? does it have any dependence to yeast type or any other factor? or homemade wine is safe any way?
"I do not want to distillate wine"

shahab said:
I am very sorry if this question is extremely common but i could not find my answer any where yet.
I want to make wine at home and i do not have any access to wine yeast because it is illegal in my country.
So i want to know when is poisonous level of methanol produced in wine? does it have any dependence to yeast type or any other factor? or homemade wine is safe any way?
"I do not want to distillate wine"

Methanol isn't a problem unless you're distilling. It's not produced in enough concentration to be a problem unless you distill.

Home brewers have used bread yeast for centuries too. It won't taste quite the same, most likely, but you're not totally out of luck. Winemaking is like falling off a horse...not real hard to do. You'll be fine, as long as you sterilize everything you use. There are threads on here on how to do that. You'll not have access to some of those, I expect, since brewing is illegal where you are, but if all else fails, a large pot full of water can sterilize most anything.

You're a grownup, I assume, but if you live where I think you live, you might want to think long and hard about how well you can keep this secret. Is it worth the possible cost to you? I'm all about standing up for freedom but this is not likely to end well if you don't keep it completely secret. Best to you.

If you are making wine from fresh grapes, there will be natural yeast on them. Just crush them and let them go. Do not wash them. If you are making wine from juice you can add some crushed fresh grapes to the mix for the yeast.

Wouldn't any wild fruit have 'wild' yeasts on them? Shahab, keeping it a secret would be hard, because of the smell. I have a friend who is a prison guard, and the inmates make the prison brew with juice and bread. Even when they try and bury it, you sometimes can smell it! Be careful friend, and good luck.

Latest posts

Back