White house beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tchamber said:
I don't. But I work from home, often on the laptop in the living room, and SWMBO happened to have it on.

Honest! :D

Even if we believed you (and we don't), merely paying attention is grounds for having your card revoked. Sorry.

emjay said:
Even if we believed you (and we don't), merely paying attention is grounds for having your card revoked. Sorry.

If not revoked, a corner torn off at the least. Lose 4 corners and it's over.

FYI the recipe for Honey Ale on the White House blog has been updated. The second hops addition has been corrected.

It now reads "For the second flavoring, add the 1 1/2 oz Fuggles hop pellets at the last minute of the boil."

Link: http://m.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/09/01/ale-chief-white-house-beer-recipe

dammit. i followed the original recipe typo of 1/2oz at 1min... o well. it'll be close.

i bottled today. the beer is VERY alcohol hot...im sure aging will help. the honey notes were gone (or hidden by the alcohol heat), but i'm sure i'll enjoy it. I'm going to give this one a full 3 week nap before even attempting to drink one.

I'm drinking one now. Its really good, I think. I had pretty measured expectations....nothing about the ingredients really stood out to me. I followed the recipe closely except I guessed (right) and used 1.5 late and didn't secondary. The honey flavor is, to me, much more than I expected. It has much more character than I anticipated. Really good.

Sorry, not good and explaining the beer as others are. I'm a bit of a noob with 9 extract beers under my belt.

Cheers!

i bottled today. the beer is VERY alcohol hot...im sure aging will help. the honey notes were gone (or hidden by the alcohol heat), but i'm sure i'll enjoy it. I'm going to give this one a full 3 week nap before even attempting to drink one.

I bottled mine today as well. The sample came out a tad malty in front, with some heat. Actually worked well I thought. Then it finished out with better bitter/malt balance, but the heat came through a bit more. It was fairly light color and very clear going through the siphon.

Mine finished at around 1.008, which makes it about 7.5 ABV. This is going to help make one hell of an election night party.

--Jimbot

I brewed this beer two days after it came out and didn't secondary...I might be one of the first people to drink a finished product. haha

I bottled mine today as well. The sample came out a tad malty in front, with some heat. Actually worked well I thought. Then it finished out with better bitter/malt balance, but the heat came through a bit more. It was fairly light color and very clear going through the siphon.

Mine finished at around 1.008, which makes it about 7.5 ABV. This is going to help make one hell of an election night party.

--Jimbot

those numbers are similar to mine. hot 7.5ABV and 1.007/1.008.
it takes a month in the bottle to really finish nice.

Mine got maggots in it and now tastes like crap (acetobacter, I assume) :(

I'll try again some day...

No, sweetcell LOL!! During fermentation, I got fruit flies and they got in my beer, laid eggs, an the rest is a sad sad history.

The lil maggots were around the lip of the bucket so I wiped them off as well as I could and sealed up the fermenter hoping I could save the beer, but when I took a taste it has this nasty harsh "flavor" to it. Since I have had this off-flavor before (without the maggots) I know it does not get better with age. I've not had the heart to dump it yet, but feel it is inevitable. I figure one more sample this weekend and if nothing has changed, it will be my first batch down the drain.

I THINK I have enough ingredients to re-brew the White House Honey Ale but may need to use Munich malt rather than Maris Otter and will need to buy yeast. I will brew an IPA or something this weekend and try this recipe again maybe the week after.

Brewed this up yesterday. Been around 12 hours in the fermenter and bubbling along nicely. The wort tasted awesome and can't wait for this one to finish.

The recipe calls for 2.25 qts. of water, bringing 2 gals. to a boil, "rinsing" (what ever that means) with 2 more hot gals. and adding to 2 more cold gals. And finally topping "with cold water to equal 5 gallons if necessary." Sounds like over 6 gallons to start. Am I really expecting to boil off over a gallon? This will only be my 7th extract brew but I'm confused about the quantities and what they mean by "rinsing." Thanks experts, I love the info I get in these forums.

MrBrewer said:
The recipe calls for 2.25 qts. of water, bringing 2 gals. to a boil, "rinsing" (what ever that means) with 2 more hot gals. and adding to 2 more cold gals. And finally topping "with cold water to equal 5 gallons if necessary." Sounds like over 6 gallons to start. Am I really expecting to boil off over a gallon? This will only be my 7th extract brew but I'm confused about the quantities and what they mean by "rinsing." Thanks experts, I love the info I get in these forums.

You are rinsing residual sugars and flavors out of the grains. My boils are about a gallon loss per hour of boil. My all grain batches are set up to shoot for about 6.1 gallons of pre boil wort. After a 60 minute boil if I have done everything right I should hit my target gravity and have just over 5.25 gallons into my fermenter.

Hi all. Newto the forum and to homebrewing. I modified NB's extract version of this by adding 1/2 pound of chocolate malt and 6 oz. of black patent with the one pound of caramel. During the boil, I added 1 lb of honey at 60 minutes, 1 lb at 30 and 1.5 lbs with the aroma hops after boil. OG was 1.074 (first time using hydrometer, but took it twice). Was bottling my first brew (blueberry wheat) to free up secondary last night, and noticed that my porter is now at 1.000. Is that right?
The water in the air lock hasn't moved at all - so no positive pressure yet. Is it time to bottle?

Edit: brew day was 2 weeks ago. Forgot time frame. That's why I am posting. Didn't know if gravity could/should drop that fast.

The hydrometer doesn't lie. You must not have had a air-tight seal on the primary fermenter. That's why you didn't see any action. Depending on temp the yeast could mow through the sugar pretty fast. With the O.G. that high I would give it a couple weeks in the secondary before bottling.

Considering my beer kit arrived with a winemaking book in it, my first batch seems challenged from the start. I started with the Whitehouse Honey Ale. Yes, the one with typos and incomplete directions.
Wasn't entirely certain on what steeping meant, but thought I'd turn the heat back on for the tap water I had boiled earlier that had cooled down to around 140. Once it got to boiling, I put the bag of grains in the boiling water and went to the laptop to see exactly what steeping meant...yeah I know...now.
Ran back into the kitchen, slid the pot off the heat, pulled the bag and put it on a plate. Total boil time, about 9 minutes (i read slow I guess). Cooled it down to 155 and "steeped" the remaining 21 minutes at 155.
Do I just let it fly or there something I should consider doing to lessen the effect of the tannins I would have presumably released?
Also, I added the yeast at 175 and bubbles started almost immediately (within 5 seconds). I could not get the primary below 78 degrees for the first 3 days. Tried garage, basement, fan and eventually sink with water. Things settled down after 2 days. Didn't really see another bubble after 48 hours. Today is day 7 in the primary. It has been at about 71 degrees for the last 4 days. Directions say, rack to seconday and ferment for 14 more days. Will it still ferment?
The recipe and ingredients are below if needed:

WHITE HOUSE HONEY ALE
Ingredients

2 (3.3 lb) cans light malt extract
1 lb light dried malt extract
12 oz crushed amber crystal malt
8 oz Biscuit Malt
1 lb White House Honey
1 1/2 oz Kent Goldings Hop Pellets
1 1/2 oz Fuggles Hop pellets
2 tsp gypsum
1 pkg Windsor dry ale yeast
3/4 cup corn sugar for priming
Directions

1.In an 12 qt pot, steep the grains in a hop bag in 1 1/2 gallons of sterile water at 155 degrees for half an hour. Remove the grains.
2.Add the 2 cans of the malt extract and the dried extract and bring to a boil.
3.For the first flavoring, add the 1 1/2 oz Kent Goldings and 2 tsp of gypsum. Boil for 45 minutes.
4.For the second flavoring, add the 1/2 oz Fuggles hop pellets at the last minute of the boil.
5.Add the honey and boil for 5 more minutes.
6.Add 2 gallons chilled sterile water into the primary fermenter and add the hot wort into it. Top with more water to total 5 gallons. There is no need to strain.
7.Pitch yeast when wort temperature is between 70-80?. Fill airlock halfway with water.
8.Ferment at 68-72? for about seven days.
9.Rack to a secondary fermenter after five days and ferment for 14 more days.
10.To bottle, dissolve the corn sugar into 2 pints of boiling water for 15 minutes. Pour the mixture into an empty bottling bucket. Siphon the beer from the fermenter over it. Distribute priming sugar evenly. Siphon into bottles and cap. Let sit for 2 to 3 weeks at 75?.

Thanks. That actually makes a lot of sense. I wound up reducing my confusion by just putting all the grains into a muslin bag and steeping for 45 mins. in 3 gals. of 160 degree water. Then boiled it up and followed directions from there, but doubling the aroma hops (since they come in 1 ounce packets and all). Bubbling away ferociously right now at 24 hours. Dark and smells pretty. Hoping for the best. Thanks!

I've had it in the primary since Wednesday and will add more honey this Wednesday. Have any of you already tried this recipe? If so, any suggestions?

I just brewed the Honey Ale kit from Northern Brewer on Friday also. I substituted locally produced honey that I got at the Farmer's Market for what came in the kit. I had dabbled in homebrewing 10+ years ago but just started back up with this one due to all the chatter about it. I'm excited to get back into brewing! Did you do a kit or put it together yourself?

I just brewed the Honey Ale kit from Northern Brewer on Friday also. I substituted locally produced honey that I got at the Farmer's Market for what came in the kit. I had dabbled in homebrewing 10+ years ago but just started back up with this one due to all the chatter about it. I'm excited to get back into brewing! Did you do a kit or put it together yourself?

Welcome back to brewing and HBT!

We had a brew party for this last weekend and its still in the carboy http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/White-House-Honey-Ale.html

Did you really put 3.5# of total honey in there or am I reading this wrong?

1.0000 is not possible unless you have perfect yeast ;p and if you went from 1.074, an SG way higher than the original recipe but considering all that honey understandable, down to 1.0000 or no sugar left in two weeks .... something up with that... What yeast did you use?

I wouldn't worry too much about tannin extraction from boiling the grains for 9 minutes. Beer can be pretty forgiving.

I'd search this forum on weather you want to use a secondary or not, it's been debated hundreds of times. Personally, I think it's a bad idea to use a secondary fermenter on the arbitrary basis of time. Let the yeast, and the beer's gravity determine your decision on whether to use a secondary. You don't want to remove the beer from the yeast too early as you might not have enough yeast to finish fermenting the beer.

To summarize much of the secondary vs. no secondary debate:
Pros of using a secondary - Clears the beer by transferring the beer into another vessel and leaving a lot of the yeast behind.
Cons of using a secondary - Extra equipment to clean, risk of infection during the tranfer process, there are other ways of clearing your beer like cold crashing or just leaving it in the primary for extra time.

you added the yeast at 175? or did you mean 75? 175 would probably kill most if not all the yeast. 75 is on the warm side, but doable, if you can further cool it after pitching, which it sounds like you weren't able to. Fermenting at that temp probably will give you some off flavors. only time will tell if it will be completely ruined or not though. I don't secondary any more, but that is just me, other people do it all the time. whether you leave it in primary, secondary or in the bottles, I usually find giving the beer some extra aging time will help. especially if the temps get away from you. I made a porter where the temps got too high and the beer had a hot alcohol taste when I bottled it. I left it for about 6 months and now it tastes much better. I think your batch will most likely benefit from the same...

Also, I added the yeast at 175 and bubbles started almost immediately (within 5 seconds). I could not get the primary below 78 degrees for the first 3 days. Tried garage, basement, fan and eventually sink with water. Things settled down after 2 days. Didn't really see another bubble after 48 hours. Today is day 7 in the primary. It has been at about 71 degrees for the last 4 days. Directions say, rack to seconday and ferment for 14 more days. Will it still ferment?
7.Pitch yeast when wort temperature is between 70-80?. Fill airlock halfway with water.

Just reread this and you might have a problem. Did you add the yeast when the wort was 175 degrees? If so, that would kill the yeast and thus you wouldn't have any viable yeast for fermentation. Anything above 120 is a yeast killer. Pitch means to add the yeast to the wort. Did your kit come with a hydrometer? This is used to measure the amount of sugar is solution of the beer. Ideally, you take a gravity reading prior to adding yeast, then you can take subsequent gravity readings to judge fermenation. As the yeast consume the sugar in the beer, alchohol is made and the gravity decreases.

Now to discuss fermentation temperatures. The temperature the beer ferments at is very important, and it's the temperature of the liquid not the ambient air temperature that matters. As the brewer, you make wort, the yeast make the wort into beer. It's your job to make a good tasty wort and keep the yeast happy (temperature, aeration, amount of yeast pitched). I'd suggest searching this forum for "swamp cooler" and use this method to better control fermentation temperature. A temperature controlled fridge or freezer works very well too.

lawman67 said:

The immediate bubbles were your yeast screaming in pain. I'm too new to know the effects of overheating yeast very well. I'm sure at some point, you kill the yeast. Don't worry (until someone else tells you to), I'm not saying your yeast is dead, I'm saying I don't know if it is dead. You will likely have some off flavors because the yeast was too hot.

Questions:
1 - You said it didn't get down to 78 for three days. How hot was it before that? Any idea how long it was above 100?

2 - You say things settled down after 2 days. What do you mean settled down? Stopped bubbling? Is that 2 days after it got down to 78 or two days after brewing?

Hopefully it bubbled after cooling down. Pretty much a guarantee that the yeast isn't dead. After that, I think you should be alright. Likely some extra or missing flavors from some problems with technique, but all learning experiences.

From what I'm seeing, the only thing that appears would be a MAJOR problem would be if you really pitched yeast at 175 (as indicated above, that'd kill your yeast). Given that it you indicated it fermented, I'm assuming that was a typo and you meant 75.

There are some potentials for off-flavors in this beer. As you were aware, there's the potential for tannins. So the beer might have a little astringency. Your fermentation temp was definitely warm, so it may be a little too fruity, perhaps a little hot or solventy. Those things will often mellow with time. In the future, you were on the right track with the sink and water. Many of us use "swamp coolers" as cheap and easy temperature control. Were you reading the temperature of the beer itself, or the ambient air? Fermentation creates heat, and the beer can be as 10 degrees higher than the air around it (I had a beer long ago reach 15 degrees higher than ambient) during active fermentation. Water conducts heat better than air, and will help mitigate that.

Two days isn't unreasonable for active fermentation, especially at those temperatures which will cause it to ferment faster. Most of my beers femrented in the mid 60's are done with active fermentation in 3-4 days. Secondary is up for debate (I only do it under certain circumstances, and this beer wouldn't be one of them), but you should definitely allow some extra time after fermentation for yeast to clean up all the byproducts they create during fermentation before you consider transferring to secondary or bottling. Many folks on this site will leave a beer in primary (with no secondary) for 3-4 weeks before bottling/kegging.

However, odds are you still made beer, and it should still be drinkable.

Hellbender1 said:

I got the recipe from my local home brew shop. The recipe says to add honey after 7 days(in response to another post). I used local orange blossom honey

Adding honey after fermentation is complete is a common practice for many brewers on here. It'll preserve the most flavor and aroma. I've always added it after flame-out (no boiling), allowing it a little bit between 180 and 200 degrees to pasteurize it.

I'm curious what you mean by "more" honey. Did you split the honey, adding some on brewday and some later? Are you adding additional honey? Or is this the only honey addition?

A friend and I brewed an all-grain adaptation of the Honey Ale a couple weeks ago. We'll be bottling in about 2 weeks. It's at his house, so I haven't gotten a chance to taste it yet. We were trying to keep as true to [the intent of] the original recipe as we could. Given that I live right across the river from the District, I was able to source some honey from hives less than a mile from the White House, so hopefully we're pretty close.

No, you're reading it right. 3.5# of honey.Dont know why, it just seemed ..... Good. Anyways, I used a yeast cake from my previous beer (prior to blueberries) made from safale us 05. I made two starters from it and pitched both.

Now, before Revvy shows up and slaps me with some NOOB knowledge, I took another reading, and it was still at 1.000. The airlock has started to bubble on the secondary, but I don't want to let it just go to town and run the risk of autolysis. I am more than willing to admit that my initial reading was wrong.

The only thing I'm thinking that could drop it THAT low is an infection (even 3711 won't go that low in my experience, even if it gets close), but I'd think it'd need longer than 2 weeks for an infection to drop it that far. I'd expect all that honey to dry the beer out a bit, maybe even make it a little vinous/cidery, but I don't think it'd do that much. My guess is that something's wrong with your hydrometer or it's user error.

And yeah, I figured I'd go with a local twist since the recipe uses local honey. The honey I used is from a local apiary.

Big TYPO on my part! I could probably qualify for a job in the White House kitchen. My bad notes for sure, it was not 175 when I put the yeast in. Thank you guys for the catch on that. The recipe called for pitching when the wort was between 70-80 degrees, which I tried for the middle at 75 degrees. By evening, it was up to 78 (not 178) and just didn't seem to want to go down even with a 66 degree ambient temp in the basement. My primary has the adhesive strip thermometer stuck on the outside, so I'm trusting it to reasonably estimate the beer temp. I use a seperate digital thermometer for the ambient.
I'll be more aware on the next batch and get cooled a few more degrees to the bottom of the range before pitching. I've read quite a few posts that indicate this is not uncommon and it's good to know how to solve for it.
This one may be on the shelf for awhile and I'll just keep making notes to learn from.

The immediate bubbles were your yeast screaming in pain. I'm too new to know the effects of overheating yeast very well. I'm sure at some point, you kill the yeast. Don't worry (until someone else tells you to), I'm not saying your yeast is dead, I'm saying I don't know if it is dead. You will likely have some off flavors because the yeast was too hot.

Questions:
1 - You said it didn't get down to 78 for three days. How hot was it before that? Any idea how long it was above 100?

2 - You say things settled down after 2 days. What do you mean settled down? Stopped bubbling? Is that 2 days after it got down to 78 or two days after brewing?

Hopefully it bubbled after cooling down. Pretty much a guarantee that the yeast isn't dead. After that, I think you should be alright. Likely some extra or missing flavors from some problems with technique, but all learning experiences.

It was at 75 degrees when I pitched the yeast and by that same evening, the temp was up to 78 degrees (not the 68-72 I was looking for). The beer stayed at 78 degrees for 3 days in the basement where the room was at 66 degrees.
The bubbling settled down after 2 days instead of every couple of minutes to a couple of times per hour. I did not notice any bubbles during days 4 through 7.

you added the yeast at 175? or did you mean 75? 175 would probably kill most if not all the yeast. 75 is on the warm side, but doable, if you can further cool it after pitching, which it sounds like you weren't able to. Fermenting at that temp probably will give you some off flavors. only time will tell if it will be completely ruined or not though. I don't secondary any more, but that is just me, other people do it all the time. whether you leave it in primary, secondary or in the bottles, I usually find giving the beer some extra aging time will help. especially if the temps get away from you. I made a porter where the temps got too high and the beer had a hot alcohol taste when I bottled it. I left it for about 6 months and now it tastes much better. I think your batch will most likely benefit from the same...

Thank you for the help. I decided to go with the secondary so I can free up the primary for a Vienna Lager kit that is on deck. I decided to taste it while transferring and it tastes like beer, though it has an alcohol bite to it for sure. This forum has been awesome for digging into and shortening the learning curve on the fundamentals.

If you haven't checked the gravity I would advise against doing anything with it, especially if you haven't seen much activity. You should see a lot of action in the first 48 hours, if you didn't see much I would be concerned that you haven't achieved much fermentation. If you didn't get an OG it'll be hard to tell if the yeast have done anything. But 75 degrees should have been a safe temperature to pitch. My advice is to check the gravity against what the recipe says the FG should be and if it's too high let it sit in primary a bit longer and RDWHAH

Latest posts

Back