"Cheap" options for a pot and burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickerman

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a pot and a burner. I usually use a friends, but I think its time to get my own. I'd rather not spend more than $200 for the pot and burner if possible. It seems like turkey fryer is a good, cheap option for my first set up, but I seem to always find mixed reviews. I've been looking into making a keggle, but don't know how much that will end up costing right now. I want to be able to do full boils, and have a thermometer & ball valve installed.
I'm basically just trying to find some "cheap" options of what to use, and any input is appreciated.
Thanks,
wickerman

wickerman said:
I'm in the market for a pot and a burner. I usually use a friends, but I think its time to get my own. I'd rather not spend more than $200 for the pot and burner if possible. It seems like turkey fryer is a good, cheap option for my first set up, but I seem to always find mixed reviews. I've been looking into making a keggle, but don't know how much that will end up costing right now. I want to be able to do full boils, and have a thermometer & ball valve installed.
I'm basically just trying to find some "cheap" options of what to use, and any input is appreciated.
Thanks,
wickerman

Thundergroup 60qt ss stockpot on amazon. Bayou banjo burner and stand. Weldless ball valve. Will not leave much room for thermometer so use your finger. Joking, you could get a thermometer fairly cheap on Amazon. Might just put you at near 200 with shipping. What are you mashing into or are you biab/extract?

I do extract brewing right now, but after I get through a 50-55lb sack of dme, I'm thinking of giving all grain a serious shot. As of right now, to me, the amount you save isn't worth the time it takes for all grain. But I would like to venture in that direction at some point if that has anything to do with what I'm looking for.
Thanks,
wickerman

The aluminum fryer option is really great, but only to an extent. First off, Aluminum is totally fine to brew in. It doesn’t impart flavors nor does it cause Alzheimer’s. That is all BS, just be sure to season the pot before using it. Aluminum is a great way to save money and a load of people use them.
The limitations though are going to turn you off. Most turkey fryers are lower on the BTU performance side of things. I love mine, but once I hit about 4 – 5 gallon boil size it starts to struggle. If you’re intention is to go all grain buy a better burner. The second is the limits of the aluminum pot. You’re going to be hard pressed to find one that comes with the fryer that is also large enough for a >10gal boil. Also, drilling into aluminum to add a thermometer and/or valve is also going to be a limitation. I’ve heard that the softer metal doesn’t take well to the stresses of drilling. But maybe someone can confirm/deny that.
If you’re fine with extract, I feel that my fryer burner is the second greatest tool you could purchase. It shortened my brew time and there is just something about the enjoyment of standing over one with a beer in your hand. The best tool will be the chiller you will inevitably need to cool down your first 5 gallon boil. It takes forever.

I do extract brewing right now, but after I get through a 50-55lb sack of dme, I'm thinking of giving all grain a serious shot. As of right now, to me, the amount you save isn't worth the time it takes for all grain. But I would like to venture in that direction at some point if that has anything to do with what I'm looking for.
Thanks,
wickerman

I only asked as it may take two vessels to brew in if you are not going to do a BIAB (boil in a bag). You may want to try a partial mash in which you steep some of the base malts and use less DME. This way you can do it in one pot. I use a cooler for a mash tun and a stockpot to heat strike/sparge water and then boil the wort afterwards.

Hey wickerman, don't fear all grain or the time constraints, it does not have to be time consuming or overwhelming. No chill / BIAB / short mash /short boil can make tasty beer as well...cheers

For what it's worth I made my kettle from a 60 qt aluminum pot from a sports/outdoor store. Cost 80 bucks. Added a 1/2 inch valve from hardware store with silicone o-rings and coupler I bought online. Drilling the hole was a piece of cake - use a step-bit or a hole saw and use a light touch. File off any burrs and you are good to go. Also made 2 HLTs by adding a water heater element the same way.

I have settled on a banjo burner by Cajun Cooker which can really put out the BTUs. About 82 bucks on Amazon.

Cheers

Hey wickerman, don't fear all grain or the time constraints, it does not have to be time consuming or overwhelming. No chill / BIAB / short mash /short boil can make tasty beer as well...cheers

I just did a 20min mash and 30 min boil on a session blonde. I needed a low abv to fill the void. 1oz summit at thirty minutes and .5 oz centennial at flameout. I'm sure it will be tasty. Plenty of ways to shorten the brew day. Preparation is key.

$200 for a pot and burner....you should have tons of options with that budget....

personally I bought a basic turker fryer and burner for $38 at Walmart...it was 7.5 gallon aluminum pot and worked very well.

I eventually made a keggle. Was able to get a full size keg for $25 (Tip make a post on Craigslist saying you are looking for one or more and what you are willing to pay) I had no trouble scoring several kegs using this method..I cut the top off with my dremel. I spent another $40 dollars on some weldless fittings (ball valve, dip tube, etc)

with $200 you should be able to get a kettle, a mash tun, HLT, and burner if you know how to DIY and do look around.

Hey, if you are going to really do this the cost of a good burner is not that much more than a crappy on... the good burner will last foreever and even if it does not you can by replacement parts. This is a pretty good burner and cheaper on Amazon http://www.campchef.com/maximum-output-single-cooker.html....

I look at it this way... I am going to own this for years; how much each year did it cost me...

You buy somethng too cheap you will be replacing it.

Buy something good and even if you quit brewing you can sell it for at least 75% of what you paid for it... (think that yearly cost thing again)

Thanks for all the info! A couple of thing I should point out and questions-
-I plan on getting a chiller when I get my equipment.
-I must not be looking in the right places online, 10 gal pots that come with thermo & valve installed that I've found all seem to be over $200, and burners $75 and up.
-What is "boil in a bag"? I do steep small amounts of grain as per recipe if thats what you mean.
-As far as all grain goes, I've been doing some research on using a cooler for mash tun and it seems alot easier than the way I've seen it done on a friends setup. I already have a 55lb bag of dme on order, so I'll continue doing reseach and gathering some things/saving some money in the mean time.
-What is a HLT?
Thanks again,
wickerman

Wait for Cabela's/Bass Pro to have a sale on stainless turkey frier. I believe I got my 55K burner & 7.5 gal ss pot for $40, yay for 50% off. My only regret is not buying two.

Thanks for all the info! A couple of thing I should point out and questions-
-I plan on getting a chiller when I get my equipment.
-I must not be looking in the right places online, 10 gal pots that come with thermo & valve installed that I've found all seem to be over $200, and burners $75 and up.
-What is "boil in a bag"? I do steep small amounts of grain as per recipe if thats what you mean.
-As far as all grain goes, I've been doing some research on using a cooler for mash tun and it seems alot easier than the way I've seen it done on a friends setup. I already have a 55lb bag of dme on order, so I'll continue doing reseach and gathering some things/saving some money in the mean time.
-What is a HLT?
Thanks again,
wickerman

I can handle this one...

You're not going to find a kettle (stainless or Al) with fittings installed for cheap. You'll have to put it together yourself.

Here's the cheapest way you'll get a 10gal kettle with a thermo and valve.

$45 - Kettle - Kettle
$12 - Step Drill - Step Drill
$12 - Weldless Coupler - Weldless Coupler
$13 - Ball Valve - Ball Valve
$32 - Weldless Thermo - Weldless Thermometer

Total: $114 (plus a little for shipping and your time)

-Ben

Back