Soft copper in 25' length not avsilable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalme

Reaction score
Lowes and home depot both do not carry copper tubing in a 25' length, for utility or refrigeration.

They are now only carrying 20, 50, 60 and hd has a 100

So much for my 25' length for a wort chiller

Lowes and home depot both do not carry copper tubing in a 25' length, for utility or refrigeration.

They are now only carrying 20, 50, 60 and hd has a 100

So much for my 25' length for a wort chiller

I did 20 and then had to add another 20. Just do 50 to start. Trust me, it's worth it.

Ok,
Let me ask this question because I saw this discussed in another thread on here. When the water starts down the copper tubing it probably won't be 1/3 of the way through the copper tubing before it has reached the same temp as the wort, at this point it won't matter how much additional tubing there is, the water cannot hold any more heat. Two water sources will have more efficiency than one of double the length. So, a 25' 3/8 is great, and a 50' would be slightly better but 50' better than two 20'? I find that one hard to believe.

I ran this by a friend who is a HVAC and he agreed that the cooling efficiency of two 20' lengths would be better than a single 50' length.

Does this make sense or did I read your response incorrectly?

Ok,
Let me ask this question because I saw this discussed in another thread on here. When the water starts down the copper tubing it probably won't be 1/3 of the way through the copper tubing before it has reached the same temp as the wort, at this point it won't matter how much additional tubing there is, the water cannot hold any more heat. Two water sources will have more efficiency than one of double the length. So, a 25' 3/8 is great, and a 50' would be slightly better but 50' better than two 20'? I find that one hard to believe.

I ran this by a friend who is a HVAC and he agreed that the cooling efficiency of two 20' lengths would be better than a single 50' length.

Does this make sense or did I read your response incorrectly?

If your water has reached the same temperature as your wort 1/3 of the way down, you need to increase your rate of water flow. My kitchen sink faucet puts out water faster than a 25' chiller can keep up by a significant margin, and that's with an aggressive pumped whirlpool.

The math here is relatively simple. The heat you are gaining in your chilling water is essentially identical to the heat you are taking out of your wort. If you really have two separate water sources, you'll have a greater temperature differential and thus faster chilling, though you'll use more water. If, on the other hand, you're splitting a single volume of water into two different chillers, I don't see any particular advantage to justify the extra fittings.

I just made a 50'x1/2"OD HERMS coil. I had originally purchased a20' coil and took back the unopened package because I couldn't wrap my mind around a 20' HERMS working near as well...

attachment.php

Is there any difference in utility grade versus refrigeration grade copper as it relates to a wort chiller?

Back