Filtering hops from wort.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesZeagleir

Reaction score
I personally always had troubles filtering the small pieces of hops from my end result. I would attempt to filter; when moving wort into the primary, putting it in the secondary and again when bottling. I started try using small nylon bags but having to use them every ounce or so is quite a drag. Does anyone have any good filter tips or techniques?

I have heard panty hose work really well. I simply cold crash and never have any sediment, I'm curious how you would have such an issue with it. Perhaps moving the fermenter around a lot before siphoning? Mine always seem to settle and I never filter. A lot of times I don't even cold crash.

Yeah, I think that may be it. Cause I have to move the carboy down 3 flights of stairs before bottling, also thinking about now using an electronic pump for siphoning is most likely what the problem is. I guess for next batch i'll just siphon with a tube and see if i get the same problem.
Thanks.

I use a frying pan cover, its for like frying chicken I think. Its circular, metal, with a handle and is a mesh straining material in the middle, I think its used for like frying meat in a pan, you would hold it over top of the pan and flip the pan when the meat is done, after you flip it the chicken would sit on the mesh and drain the oil

I use one of these that fits perfectly over the top of my bucket and put a regular strainer over that.

Heres what im talking about http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/55220-splatter-screen-set-of-3.html

you can get them at walmart etc, I ripped the handle off and it goes over my bucket and a strainer on top of that.

I use a bucket-sized paint strainer when I transfer from the BK to the primary bucket. That, combined with the Hop Stopper, gives me two forms of straining before the primary. After that, a final cold crash before racking to a keg drops anything else out.

I bought a big fine mesh nylon bag that fits over the mouth of my fermenting bucket. I simply rack my wort into the bucket, pick up the bag and take the left over sediment with it.

I bought a large stainless steel fine mesh wire strainer at Wal-Mart that I rest on top of my fermenting bucket when I pour the wort into it. It does a good job of straining out the hops and aerating at the same time.

I use a hop sock (a paint-straining bag from the hardware store) in the boil and dump the hop additions into it. I pull it out before opening the valve to run the wort through my CFC.

I really don't have any trub and don't bother with whirlpooling or anything else.

I bought a large stainless steel fine mesh wire strainer at Wal-Mart that I rest on top of my fermenting bucket when I pour the wort into it. It does a good job of straining out the hops and aerating at the same time.

Be very careful using the strainer. I was using one for awhile and immediately had a huge problem with off flavors. It turned out to be an infection and I lost 6 or 8 batches. I couldn't figure out what the problem was because I was super anal about sanitation. I was ready to quit brewing until I read a brewing book one day that talked about how hard it was to kill bugs living in the cracks and crevices of a wire strainer. I used to soak mine in a bucket of starsan but that doesn't work. I tossed the strainer that day and my infection problem ended immediately.

Be very careful using the strainer. I was using one for awhile and immediately had a huge problem with off flavors. It turned out to be an infection and I lost 6 or 8 batches. I couldn't figure out what the problem was because I was super anal about sanitation. I was ready to quit brewing until I read a brewing book one day that talked about how hard it was to kill bugs living in the cracks and crevices of a wire strainer. I used to soak mine in a bucket of starsan but that doesn't work. I tossed the strainer that day and my infection problem ended immediately.

Interesting, I never thought of that. I haven't had a problem yet, but maybe I have just been lucky (I too soak the strainer in Star San before each use). Has anyone else had a similar problem using a strainer?

????

Ive never had an issue with strainer...perhaps buy one that you can submerge in starsan ( I keep a 5 gallon starsan solution going on brewday) but I strain from kettle to cooling pot, then again from cooling pot to carboy. In fact I am using two funnels and two strainer going into the carboy. This also helps with aereation

I use a bucket-sized paint strainer when I transfer from the BK to the primary bucket. That, combined with the Hop Stopper, gives me two forms of straining before the primary. After that, a final cold crash before racking to a keg drops anything else out.

Yup, that's what I do. See pic.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachments/f13/78848d1349754201-whats-trick-whirlpool-i-cant-seem-get-47.jpg

PaintStrainer.jpg

When I transfer from my boil kettle I put a cheese cloth in the funnel. It takes a couple shake outs because the hop material eventually gets clogged up but it works really well and I get every drop from my kettle. I also use the same bag in my bottling bucket to catch anything that I racked over. I've recently also switched to using only whole cone hops whenever I can because they're easier to filter out than pellet muck.

Latest posts

Back