Chimay Fermentation Delay????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lxa4christ

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed 3 AHS kits: a belgian white, a double chocolate stout, and a chimay blue clone. I used starters for all three and all of them were using LME. The belgian white went into fermentation at 1200, the dc stout at 1500 and the chimay at 1800. As of 2200 tonight, the first two are bubbling away but the Chimay I have nothing. I even slightly opened the lid and saw no bubbles to speak of on the top of the wort. This is surprising to me, as I used 2 vials of white lab yeast for this batch (per the recipe). I would have expected that it would be the most active of the 3. Is this normal with the OG being 1.085 on this batch compared to 1.040-1.050 for the other 2? Or is there an issue here?

I am going to check again in the morning but it just doesn't make sense to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my first go round with homebrewing.

Trey

Wow - first go round and you did three brews? Talk about jumping into the deep end!

As to your question, leave the beer alone, relax, and check out some of the stickies in the newbies area. There's one in particular that points out that fermentation can take up to 72 hours to show visible signs of activity. Your beer is just fine.

You may wonder why this beer seems to be starting up slower... Well, every beer, and every yeast for that matter, is different. I doubt you pitched the same yeast to all three beers; some yeast lag more than others. A lot of other factors come into play that could also explain the extra lag - but it's not unusual, and 99.9% of the time it's not a problem either!

Every yeast is different, every brew is different, and you're dealing with living micro-organisms, they have their own agenda and timeframe. Just because they act in a way different from each other, and from what you think they should be, doesn't mean anything is wrong.

I brew Belgians more than any other beer, with lots of Chimay types included. None of them act the same although they still end up tasting the same over time.

This hobby demands patience...Belgians just demand more. Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies!! The airlock is actually bubbling this morning albeit very slowly. I will continue to be patient :)

When I brewed up my Chimay Blue clone, I didn't have anything for a full day. Some helpful person informed me that as big as my beer was, my yeast was probably just forming a plan of attack. I'm glad they took their time with it. it came out amazing.

Don't worry its not infected.

I'm just predicting your next question :)

Back