Help using a diffusion stone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstanf

Reaction score
I recently purchased a diffusion stone (Here's the one I got from Austin Home Brew).

I also purchased a couple bernzomatic oxygen canisters from Home Depot.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to attach them to each other. The Home Depot and Lowes near me both sell regulators for propane and gas grills. They don't sell any that are the right size to attach to the bernzomatic canister. They suggested buying the $70 torch kit the bottles are designed for, but that seems like an awful lot to spend on something I have no use for except for the regulator inside.

Any suggestions on where I can find the right stuff online?

I recently purchased a diffusion stone (Here's the one I got from Austin Home Brew).

I also purchased a couple bernzomatic oxygen canisters from Home Depot.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to attach them to each other. The Home Depot and Lowes near me both sell regulators for propane and gas grills. They don't sell any that are the right size to attach to the bernzomatic canister. They suggested buying the $70 torch kit the bottles are designed for, but that seems like an awful lot to spend on something I have no use for except for the regulator inside.

Any suggestions on where I can find the right stuff online?

All required parts are available from Austin Home Brew
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_352&products_id=2437

You need the brass shut off/ flow control valve to complete your set-up.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

All required parts are available from Austin Home Brew
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_352&products_id=2437

You need the brass shut off/ flow control valve to complete your set-up.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Actually they may not really have them...read these threads.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/everyone-out-oxygenation-kits-210731/?highlight=regulators

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/where-all-oxygen-regulators-210463/?highlight=regulators

There's been an issue with a recall/discontinuation of the ones we have been using and nothing really has hit the market. The threadings are different for O2 as for propane.

I bought an oxygen aeration system from William's. Came with tubing, diffusion stone attached to a stainless steel wand....very helpful in getting the stone to the bottom....and also the regulator. It was around $50.00, I tried to get a link for it, but couldnt find it...not sure if they arent offering it. Disposable oxygen cylinders have a left hand thread. I recommend contacting your local welding supplier or HVAC distributor. They most likely have these simple regulators in stock or can get them quickly.

As most of us know, they are junk...but workable junk.
Thanks for the info.
Those set-ups have never been my choice and I don't pay much attention about the availability as you can tell.:eek:

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

There's been an issue with a recall/discontinuation of the ones we have been using and nothing really has hit the market. The threadings are different for O2 as for propane.

Thanks for the links, Revvy.

Looks like my best bet might actually be buying one of those torch kits, for now. I appreciate the background reading. :)

My SWMBO bought an "oxygenator" style kit for Christmas, it was the last one left and I really didn't think she would find one so I am super lucky or at least I thought I was lucky!

So according to Revvy's post are these valves having problems? I have not found any info about them other than they are very difficult to locate outside of the BernzOmatic kits!

I emailed the BernzOmatic people and asked if they could offer just the oxygen valves, stressing the value to the homebrewing community in general and all I got back was a dry:
"Unfortunately we do not offer replacement parts or a fitting that would
better suit your application. Try a welding supply for oxygen regulators.
We apologize for the inconvenience & appreciate your feedback".

Personally I think they are passing up a good selling opportunity but that is just my opinion!

So according to Revvy's post are these valves having problems? I have not found any info about them other than they are very difficult to locate outside of the BernzOmatic kits!

I've had mine for years, and as I have mentioned in other posts, it only has two settings "Off", and "Cranked open all the way" no variable setting in between whatsoever. That ultimately might have been the item's downfall. I use mine, and have no intention to get rid of it, it just has to be open all the way.

Thanks Revvy. That was very helpful.

All: I am looking for venture capital to fund my home brew O2 regulator company. Please invest. :)

I've had mine for years, and as I have mentioned in other posts, it only has two settings "Off", and "Cranked open all the way" no variable setting in between whatsoever. That ultimately might have been the item's downfall. I use mine, and have no intention to get rid of it, it just has to be open all the way.

Mine doesn't have a lot of control, but there is definitely some throttling ability. Maybe yours is different.

Back