will a smack pack eventually explode?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grathan

Reaction score
My last batch I had Wyeast packet with above average viability. I had to push the brew day back and ended up leaving the pack sit @75* for 24 hours. It looked about ready to blow. So was just wondering if it were even possible.

I don't know for sure but as long as the pouch hadn't been compromised I would think that the yeast would eventually run out of oxygen and lose its punch.

But I am sure it has happened to someone. I smacked one too hard one time and got a pin hole in the seam.

I have bought them from the LHBS already popped (the inside, not the outside) and left them in my fridge for weeks without issue. That is not to say that it cannot happen, but I would suspect they are made so that they will not explode on their own.

I too would imagine that they are made so that they don't explode. Now, maybe if we put it in the microwave for 5 or 10 minutes....

Back