Rainy Day Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MayDayBrewing

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1084
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
17.2 IBU
Color
14.7 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
6 days at 64 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days at 60 F
Tasting Notes
Still early, but nice rich flavor from chocolate malt, subtle hops.
10.00 lb Baird Maris Otter Pale Malt (3.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.30 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)

1 lb 13 oz Honey (1.0 SRM)

1.00 oz U.K. Goldings (5.00%) 60 minutes
1/2 tsp Irish Moss - 15 minutes

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

Mash in at 150 degrees F for 90 minutes - 3.75 gallons
Mash out at 165 degrees F - 4.75 gallons

Added honey before boil. Boiled 90 minutes. Cooled to 75 degrees F within 35 minutes and pitched yeast. 6 days in primary in controlled 64 degree cold box. 10 days at 60 degrees in secondary. Force-carbonated in corny keg.

Hey brother, I just brewed this last week. I used your exact recipe minus some of the honey. I only put in 1 LB because my wife doesn't like the alcohol content. Anyway, my question is if you tasted the beer between your primary and secondary fermenter, and how did it taste? I racked mine to secondary today and it didn't taste too great. Also, how did you get all of the yeast out? It's got low flocculation and usually requires filtration. Appreciate it.

Imperial Lover

Brewing this one up today. I've stayed true to the recipe except I changed to white labs irish ale yeast, I'm using two pounds of light brown sugar instead of honey, and I'm adding an ounce of hops at 30 minutes because I like my reds to have a little more aroma. (I know it's not the style) If you check out the weather in tennessee right now then you'll see that this ale is the perfect choice for todays weather! Happy brewing everybody!

Back