Best beginner kegging system for around $200.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for anybody reading this thread. I believe everyone here is looking at dual "body" regulators. These are actually 2 regulators connected to the same tank that can be set at different pressures.
Dual "gage" regulators have a gage on the output and a gage on the tank side but are usually only a single regulator with a single pressure.

The Dual "body' regulators are useful if you want to serve soda and beer, or want to quick carb a beer under high pressure while serving a second, or if you just want your English ale to have a low carbonation while your light lager or Belgian is higher.

I really need to get myself a kegging system :( But need to pay off some bills first.

Craig

I think at the $200 mark You are only going to get the single regulator setup for 2kegs from Kegconnection.

Midwest has the kit for $200 with a dual body regulator. They are not quite the same quality as the Taprite regulators KC sells, but they work well.

If you drop the CO2 tank (-59.95) you can upgrade to the dual regulator and be around $180 if I did my math right. That's for the dual keg basic kit at Keg Connections.

I went down to a local party supply and you can get a 5# tank "rental" for $40 with $12 refills. So out the door initially for $52. I quote the rental part because they don't take your name or fill out any forms, you just walk out with the tank. If you decide to return it you get your $40 back. In fact, if someone gave you a tank, I don't see why you couldn't just walk in, say it was a return, and get the money.

Anyway, I found another place that will refill for $7 so that'll save me $5 each time...

It would appear that the guys at KegConnection.com are listening and responding to people's desires - they now offer easy to select options online for their "2 Keg Basic Keg Kit."

You can select CO2 tank size, or CO2 tank and/or kegs removed OR add an upgraded regulator: "Dual Body Regulator Upgrade-two bodies-2 pressures" to the kit for $30 more. That's the set-up I'm buying!

This thread has been really helpful to me in my quest for good info. Thanks everyone!

As a note on the Midwest Dual body two keg kit for $199. I bought it about a month ago and have yet to have a single issue with the regulators or any other part for that matter. They actually seem very heavy duty, they are well put together, the kegs were very clean and holding pressure, and no leaks in the system. Also got from MW to VA in two days so you gotta love that.

As a note on the Midwest Dual body two keg kit for $199. I bought it about a month ago and have yet to have a single issue with the regulators or any other part for that matter. They actually seem very heavy duty, they are well put together, the kegs were very clean and holding pressure, and no leaks in the system. Also got from MW to VA in two days so you gotta love that.

Mine has been flawless for over 2 months now. Drained 3 kegs already, and 4-7 are in there now, still on my first tank. I'd recomend the Midwest Brewlogic Dualdraft in a heartbeat.

Ordered from Midwest friday night. Same kit (dual double, etc). Also ordered 2 4-packs from chi-company.

Yeah, I'll probably be in trouble when they show up.

Just got my Midwest kit two days ago. I'm force carbing my first beer right now, should be ready tomorrow night. I'm impressed with the setup. I can tell the regulator isn't of the highest quality, but it works great so I can't complain. Both kegs seal up very well, but both were slightly dented.

My only reason for going with Midwest was the dual regulators for $199. All in all I would recommend the setup in a heartbeat.

So- new to kegging... so bear with me here.

I plan on getting 405 Corneys from a friend who can get them for $20 in good condition... so... I got that going for me.

I plan on having 2 kegs in my fridge at a time... and I'm thinking I'd like to have one coming off the regulator Force Carbing and one for Serving at a time... So... this brings me to regulators...

Option 1
Option 2

So, first I suppose would both of these options work for my plan? My feeling is yes.
The second option seems to only be approx. $20 more, and I think it would allow me room to grow in the future if my needs grow...

Thoughts?

Im sure I'll need some gas lines and beer lines and such... no towers for now, as I don't want to butcher up my mini fridge yet until I can gauge it's performance on keeping consistant temps....

Thanks guys!!

I recently bought the Midwest Dual Tap setup and love it. The dual manifolds have actually come in handy. As far as the price, They were more than competetive. I just bought four kegs from pedalbiker at what I can only see as the best deal. The kegs are resealed and tested. Most others for the same price are either just pressure tested or cleaned. I have both keggs full and keep one @ 15psi and use the other manifold @ 7 -10 psi with the picnic tap to dispense without too much foam. Go or it! This is a reat starter setup.

Got my midwest kit today. Regulator, bottle, lines look great. One of the cornies looks great, the other one has quite a few dings in it, but it was holding pressure fine, so c'est la vie.

How do I clean all the crap off these things?

I sprayed them out with hot water for awhile. then filled them with oxiclean and hot water. pressurized and shook them like hell. Drained, rinsed, and mixed up some starsan. Filled with starsan, pressurized, pumped it through the lines, shook up the keg and dumped the excess. I thought they were pretty clean after that.

I took apart the posts and cleaned them as well, probably wasn't necessary but I wanted to do it right the first time I guess.

Got my midwest kit today. Regulator, bottle, lines look great. One of the cornies looks great, the other one has quite a few dings in it, but it was holding pressure fine, so c'est la vie.

Are you asking about cleaning off the outsides or the insides?

I think there are some discussion threads on really getting them polished up, but if you just want to clean the residue off you might consider soaking the keg in PBW in the tub and scrubbing with a softer scrub pad? I don't worry much about the outsides since I stick them in the Keezer anyway.

The instructions for the midwest kit says they use a caustic cleaner to get the old soda off of the inside. It says you need to rinse them well or you will experience a sweet taste in your next beer from the cleaner.

fill it with water, add 1 scoop of OxiClean, and let it sit for 24 hours, does the trick for me every time. I won't buy a used corny unless it has had a PBW soak and pressure checked.
The midwest kegs I have recieved just needed a rinse, sanitize and fill.. I replaced the diptube orings also.

Back